[Metastockusers] Data Array Question

Here's what I'd like to do...

If there are less than 500 data points in the array, I'd like to
find the highest high in the array, if there are more than 500 data
points, I'd like to find the highest high in the last 500...sounds
fairly simple but MetaStock keeps choking on symbols with less than
500 data points...I've tried various coding including

x:=cum(1);
if(x<=500,highest(h),hhv(h,500)

and

x:=isundefined(hhv(h,500));
if(x,highest(h),hhv(h,500)

without joy...so...how do I avoid getting error messages for symbols
with less data then I'm calling in the formula?

Any suggestions?

ReplayTV: CNet Ranked #1 over Tivo!
Instant Replay & Pause live TV.
Special Sale: 50% off!