RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Metastock Fixed Trailing Stop Loss

Thanks
very much for the clarification Roy - most helpful.

<FONT face="Kunstler Script" color=#008000
size=5>Regards,
<FONT face="Kunstler Script" color=#008000
size=5>
Gordon
Sutherland

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Roy Larsen
  [mailto:rlarsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Monday, 11 August 2003 10:37
  a.m.To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re:
  [EquisMetaStock Group] Metastock Fixed Trailing Stop
  LossGordonGlad you like the code I
  suggested.The "PREV<=0" is to ensure that we only consider an entry
  (setting thelatch) when not already set. This check is not strictly
  necessary for apseudo binary latch, but where the "PREV<=0" is needed
  is when the latch isset to a value that is not binary (i.e. HIGH, ATR(7)
  or whatever), and thenit is essential that ONLY the first entry signal is
  used to set the latchvalue. If a second or subsequent set signal was
  allowed to change the valuethen the usefulness of the latch as a memory
  device is destroyed. The downside of storing a variable value (instead of
  a fixed value) is that anotherPREV must be added to the
  code.Whether you use one, two, or three or more PREV's in a latch will
  depend onthe number of exit options you want to consider. The choice is
  yours - fromvery simple to very complex.Roy----
  Original Message ----- From: "Gordon Sutherland"
  <gosuth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>To:
  <equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 8:38
  PMSubject: RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Metastock Fixed Trailing Stop
  Loss> A futher thank you for the assistance last week of Peter
  Kuskopf, Steve> Roweau, and Roy Larsen for putting forward some great
  alternatives for> fixed stops in the Enhanced System
  Tester.>> After getting my head around the code volunteered, I
  have found that> your code, Roy, with the two PREV functions gives me
  what I want and> does not seem to slow my machine too much when running
  through> reasonably large databases ie>> A:=3; {ATR
  multiplier}> BC:=Cross(Mov(C,15,E),Mov(C,25,E)); {buy example}>
  SC:=Cross(Mov(C,25,E), Mov(C,15,E)); {sell example}>
  Trade:=If(PREV<=0,BC,If( {SC OR} {optional sell}>
  C<HighestSince(1,PREV=0,C)-A*ATR(7),-1,1));>
  Trade<0;>>  I specifically wanted to hang the 3*ATR(7)
  stop from the highest high> SINCE POSITION ENTRY and the code does this
  beautifully and verified> with a chart indicator showing the code
  provided as a binary wave and> also checking the results with alternate
  system testing software. It> also works if you allow pyramiding of
  positions! It even makes money in> this basic form!!>>
  Whilst I can follow the above code, I am just a little unclear what
  the> rule "PREV<=0" is referring back to. I assume it is checking
  that the BC> condition has not fired. If you could give some
  clarification here it> would greatly increase my ability to use the
  PREV function in the> future. I suspect other Metastock users in this
  Group may struggle with> this very important function
  also.>> Once again thanks for the help. In the meantime, I shall
  be trying to> incorporate multi-exit conditions into the above code
  such as if the> Chandelier Exit fired or a fixed number of days has
  expired.>> Regards,>> Gordon
  Sutherland>> -----Original Message-----> From: Roy Larsen
  [mailto:rlarsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]> Sent: Tuesday, 5 August 2003 11:34
  a.m.> To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re:
  [EquisMetaStock Group] Metastock Fixed Trailing Stop Loss> to go along
  with Trade Sim?>>> Gordon>> I'm happy to
  give whatever assistance you need to sort out the problem> or>
  explain any code. You just have to ask.>>
  <equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003
  11:15 AM> Subject: RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Metastock Fixed Trailing
  Stop Loss> to go> along with Trade Sim?>>>
  > Peter and Roy,> >> > Thank you both for your great
  inputs. Not having a programmer's logic> I> > do struggle
  with having to build code if the functions are not> available>
  > in the application. So, when I receive help to find a solution it
  is> > like opening up Aladdin's cave!> >> > Roy,
  I am tied-up for next day or so but I will get my head around the> >
  two methodologies and see if I can make it work for me and perhaps I>
  can> > come back if I need clarification.> >> >
  Regards,> >> > Gordon Sutherland> >> >
  -----Original Message-----> > From: Peter Kuskopf
  [mailto:pkuskopf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]> > Sent: Tuesday, 5 August 2003
  10:18 a.m.> > To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >
  Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Metastock Fixed Trailing Stop Loss>
  > to go along with Trade Sim?> >> >> > Also
  check Roy Larsen's comments regarding use of a PREV latch. I>
  don't> > use the PREV latch because of the speed issues, but it will
  depend on> > the size of the database, and your requirements for
  accuracy.> >> > Peter K> >> > -----
  Original Message ----- > > From: Gordon
  <mailto:gosuth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> Sutherland> > To:
  equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003
  7:54 AM> > Subject: RE: [EquisMetaStock Group] Metastock Fixed
  Trailing Stop Loss> > to go along with Trade Sim?>
  >> > Peter,> >> > Thank you for you input -
  your code looks excellent - I will try it> out.> > I must
  admit that I have not tried to use the code Equis supplied as>
  of> > yet.> >> > Regards,> >>
  [mailto:pkuskopf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]> > Sent: Monday, 4 August 2003
  9:47 p.m.> > To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> >
  > to go along with Trade Sim?> >> >> > I
  think the formula that Equis gave you will get you just the high of>
  > the entry day.> >> > For a trailing chandelier, that
  is, updated with each new high, you> > probably want:>
  >> > ARC=3; {for example}> > BC={Buy
  Condition};> > C<=HighestSince(1, BC, H) - ARC*atr(7);>
  >> > Peter> >> > ----- Original Message -----
  > > From: Gordon  <mailto:gosuth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Sutherland> > To: equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Sent:
  Monday, August 04, 2003 5:30 PM> > Subject: RE: [EquisMetaStock
  Group] Metastock Fixed Trailing Stop Loss> > to go along with Trade
  Sim?> >> > I wanted to to set a Chandelier Exit in the
  Enhanced System Tester EOD> > and received the following assistance
  from Equis Inter'l. Metastock> > seems to make it very hard to
  establish easily the Position Entry> Date.> > Hope the
  undermentioned doesn't add to the confusion.> > Regards,>
  formulas@xxxxxxxxx> > Sent: Thursday, 26 June 2003 3:54 a.m.>
  > To: gosuth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> > Subject: RE: Coding of a Volatility
  Exit [T200306230076]> >> >> > Sir,>
  >> > you will have to use the valuewhen function.> > It
  would look like :> >> > BC:={buy condition};> >
  Valuewhen(1,BC,H)> >> > Hope this helps>
  Equis Technical support> >> > -----Original Message-----
  > > From: IMCOutgoing> > Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 3:09
  AM> > Subject: Re:Coding of a Volatility Exit
  [T200306230076Z305061]> >> >> > Sender  :
  gosuth@xxxxxxxxxxxx> > Tracking
  Number         :
  T200306230076Z305061> > Pool    : Formulas>
  <support@xxxxxxxxx>> > Date    : 6/23/2003 3:09
  AM> >   _____> >> > Forwarded by:
  _____> >> > Hi,> >> >> > I
  am running MetaStock 8.01 EOD. I would like to write a rule that>
  will> > trigger an exit in the Enhanced System Tester if the Close
  falls below> > say 3 *  ATR(7) from the High since entry of the
  trade. I can't see a> > Simulation function that will give me the
  Position High Price. Is it> > possible for you to help me with this,
  I am hoping to use it in a TA> > Society presentation later this
  week and to provide the hard code> rather> > than just the
  concept of a "Chandelier Exit" would add credibility.> >>
  >> > TIA.> >> > Regards,> >>
  > Gordon Sutherland> > New Zealand> >>
  Gordon Sutherland> >> > -----Original Message----->
  > From: metastockuser [mailto:metastockuser@xxxxxxxxx]> > Sent:
  Monday, 4 August 2003 5:29 p.m.> > To:
  equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > Subject: [EquisMetaStock Group]
  Metastock Fixed Trailing Stop Loss to> go> > along with Trade
  Sim?> >> >> > Does anyone here know how to set
  up a fixed trailing stop loss in a> > metastock exploration (8.0 End
  of Day) that will work with trade Sim?> >> > I've found a
  formula on the net but not being a programmer don't> > really
  understand it or how to work it into a set up so that it works> >
  with Trade Sim> >> > If(cum(1)=1,> > {then}
  Close,> > {else} If((C*1.1) <= PREV,> >
  {then}(C*1.1),> > {else} PREV));> >> > I'm using
  two triggers.  But I've got no idea of how a fixed trailing> >
  stop loss would be set up.  Perhaps as a trailing band (similar to
  the> > volatility and standard diviation stops) so the "volatility"
  for the> > band could be the fixed trailing stop loss
  forumula?> >> > I would imagine the set up might work as
  below but if anyone knows for> > sure, has done a fixed trailing
  stop, I'd love to know how you did it.> >> > Trigger1:=
  (trade system exit conditions);> > Volatility:= (trailing stop loss
  formula?);> > BandLong:=ExtFml("TradeSim.TrailingStop",> >
  Trigger,> > Long,> > Volatility,> >
  CLOSE,> > ExitTrigger:= Trigger1 or
  Trigger2>>>>> Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor>> ADVERTISEMENT>> <<A
  href="">http://rd.yahoo.com/M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705>
  375617:HM/A=1693352/R=0/SIG=11tralmvc/*<A
  href="">http://www.netflix.com/Default?mq>
  so=60178293&partid=3170658> click here>> <<A
  href="">http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=251812.3170658.4537139.1261774/D=egrou>
  pmail/S=:HM/A=1693352/rand=829878194>>> To unsubscribe from
  this group, send an email to:>
  equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>>>
  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service>
  <<A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
  to:equismetastock-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxYour
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.