[Metastockusers] Re: System Test

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "James" <kr9u@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I want to do something that is not possible; at least I
> don't know how to approach it.
>
> What I want to do, is to run a system test on an index and apply
> results of the trading dates to another issue.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> thanks,
>
> James Wolf

James,

If you have v8.01 or Professional, there is a function which allows
you to call  individual tickers to put in your formula.  I am about
to try the exact same thing you want to do.  Below is the description
of the Security function, which Support emailed to me last week.

dm

The Security Data function allows a formula to access price data for
any online or local security.  This function can be used in any of
MetaStock's formula tools.
Online securities are referenced by including "ONLINE:" before the
symbol.  Local securities are referenced by including the full path
to the security file.  If the security exists in the same folder as
the base security, the path does not need to be included.  The
symbol, including the path or online reference, is enclosed in
quotation marks.

To reference Microsoft's close as an online security:
Security("ONLINE:MSFT",C)
To reference Microsoft's close as a local security using the full
path:
Security("C:\Metastock Data\Sample\MSFT",C)
To reference Microsoft's close as a local security in the same folder
as the base security:
Security("MSFT",C)
The last type of reference is particularly useful if you use local
data exclusively, and store all of your securities in the same local
data folder.

For example, the following indicator displays a 30-day moving average
of Microsoft's close on any chart, if your online data vendor is
active.
Mov(Security("ONLINE:MSFT",C),30,S)
The same formula could be written as:
Security("ONLINE:MSFT",Mov(C,30,S))