Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] System Test Works, Exploration Doesn't

cbfrish

There's an error in your formula "C > Ref((HHV,C,10), -1)"
It should be C > Ref(HHV(C,10),-1)
[Note the change in parenthesis, and the comma after HHV has been removed].
I am surprised that Explorer accepted the wrong formula.
Your statement that it means "the latest close is higher than the last
highest close over the prior 10 day period, excluding the latest close" is
correct if each bar is daily bar. Of course, if each bar represents another
time frame (e.g. 60 minutes), then it means that the C is higher than the C
over previous 10 60-min bars; etc.
You state that you are looking for stocks that "have the highest close over
the last 10 periods" is, strictly speaking, incorrect. Your formula is
actually giving you the highest C over 11 bars (previous 10 bars + latest
bar). If you want highest C over 10 periods, you should substitute 9 for 10
in the formula; thus: C > Ref(HHV(C,9),-1). A minor detail, but it may be
important.
Also, by using >, you are specifying that the C *MUST* be higher than
previous 10 Closes; what if you want the C to equal to or higher that the C
over previous 10 bars? Than the fml will be:
C >= Ref(HHV(C,10),-1)
and again that would represent the highest C over last 11 (10 + 1) bars. For
a 10 bar period (including the last bar), the fml will be "C >
Ref(HHV(C,9),-1)".
Hope it helps.

JD