Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] TrendMedium for Expert Generation

JO,

You are absolutely right.  I've given up on a very profitable system, because I couldn't
trade it.  I've discovered that I'm only comfortable with price triggered systems where I buy at a certain price and sell at a certain price.  The system I discarded was where two indicators crossed that had little to do with the specific price action at the time of the signal.

I'm currently trading two systems on a handful of stocks.  You absolutely have to be completely comfortable with the trading systems that you use and the security that you are using it on.  I have a system that works great on OXGN, but I'm not comfortable trading OXGN, because of its crazy wide swinging volatility.   There are many stocks I'd like to trade, but the liquidity just isn't there.  To be successful, both the system and the security must be comfortable.

The "Holy Grail" is in money management not trading systems (buy and sell arrows) per se.  Good money management frequently has you making large bets within a very narrow risk enviroment for a brief period of time.  You can't do it unless you are comfortable with the trading system that you use.  You have to be very comfortable betting a half a year's salary worth of borrowed money on a security. (thoroughly backtest something like this before you do it for real) Unfortunately, the software companies seem to feed on this public desire to get the ultimate trading system (buy /sell arrows).  I wish the software companies would put more emphasis on money money management software.  (optimal f, fractional f, fixed fraction, fixed ratio, etc.)

I think most successful traders are very comfortable with their trading systems or they have a computer or some one else do their trades.

The lessons I have learned over the years is that good Money Management is more important than the trading system you use.  If a trading system that your are comfortable with results in a reasonble risk/reward result on a specific security, then good Money Management is the whole ball game from there.  I think Money Management, especially the possibility of adapative Money Management systems, is a huge uncharted territory that isn't explored, because the software (tools) just isn't there to explore it.  Ralph Vince, in one of his books said, you'll probably be the most leveraged, right at the market top, when you want the least leverage.

Been there, done that.

There is way too much emphasis on looking for a better trading system.  That isn't a high priority to me.  I'm not saying that buying plug-ins is a waste of time, because maybe you haven't found a trading system that you are comfortable with.  But, if you have a trading system that you are comfortable with, explore money management, because that will make a bigger difference to you pocket book.

My two cents....

Kevin Campbell