[Metastockusers] Re: Question on Security function

Hi Joe,
I think you've hit the nail on the head and also raised a couple of
important points:

1. We have an interesting observation concerning the data.
Yahoo (CSI) & RealTick (Townsend Analytics) both show NO data for TAG
on 5/8/2003.
MSN (Comstock) shows data (and you have confirmed e-Signal does).
This appears to be fabricated data.  The OHLC = previous day's close
and V = 0.

2. If the Security function doesn't have data to return, it makes it
up (an intelligent guess at least).  Most likely along the same lines
as Comstock and e-signal.

The reason the Security function didn't return a blank as you would
have expected it, is that it is unable to.  Any function returning
data (coded with the MS Dev Kit) must provide a value for every
period within the range returned (and you can only return one range).

Hence why I asked the question in the first place.  What happens when
there is no data to return?  Answer: it makes up (intelligently).

I bet that's not in the manual!

Thanks very much.
Sean

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe J." <jojab@xxxx> wrote:
> Sean,
>
> I was reading the exchange you were having with Freddie and decided
to take a look at this also.

> I have eSignal data and it does show data for TAG on 5/8/03.  Thus,
I created a new security in the downloader called "Test TAG" and
deleted the entire row of data for 5/8 and saved it.  I then used the
Security function to plot the close of "Test TAG" for the last 20
days on a chart of IBM.  Interestingly, it plotted the close from 5/7
again on 5/8 (I would have thought it would have been blank).

> Freddie seemed to be suggesting that you can not use the Security()
function to generate trading signals.  That is not the case.  You can
use the Security function to reference the O,H,L,C,V and even embed
it in formulas.  Thus, if you wanted to get a buy signal on IBM when
the SPY crossed it's 50 period SMA, that could be done very easily.
This is true whether you reference it in an Expert, Security
Indicator, System Tester or the Explorer.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/zMEolB/TM