[Metastockusers] Re: Question on Security function

Hi Freddie,

Once again, thanks for looking into this.
I have MS 7.2 EOD which doesn't have the Security function built in
but I do have the MS Dev Kit so I can write most things.

I'm very interested in intermarket analysis and want to carry out
some tests incorporating other markets.  The Security function makes
this easy. E.g. if Bonds down, go long stocks (that sort of thing).
I don't see any reason why you would not be able to incorporate the
Security function to generate trade signals with the Metastock system
tester.

I wrote my own version of a 'Security' function and just happened to
test it on TAG which showed up this issue.

Any chance you could try this?
1. Open TAG chart (just last 20 periods).
2. Confirm there is no data for 5/8/2003 (YAHOO doesn't have any).
3. Open IBM chart (again - just 20 periods).
4. Add an indicator to the IBM chart which is basically a call to the
Security function to retrieve the closing price of TAG.
5. Does this indicator display something for the whole 20 periods?
If so, what does it generate for 5/8/2003 when there is nothing for
it to return?  This is the key question.

Once again, many thanks for your help.
Sean

--- In Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Freddie Ng <n07476@xxxx> wrote:
> Sean,
>
> First of all, the security function does not have additional
parameters to
> specify period of interest, so it basically takes whatever data
that is
> available and plot it on to the base security. However, I have
simulated a
> gap of data range of 1 year period for easy identification during
my test,
> the tag security is plotted onto the base security but an eyeball
check,
> one can tell that there is a missing range of data. In fact, you
don't need
> to pad missing data at all, MS will do it all for you.
> I hope I am correct to day that you can't use TAG security to
provide trade
> signal, trading signals still comes from your base security. The
TAG is on

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/zMEolB/TM