Re: [Metastockusers] Coding questions regarding Pivot Momentum

Hello Tim,

Pivot Points have traditionally been used by commodity traders to project
possible levels of support and resistance for the next trading day. If you
want to plot the levels on a Metastock chart, it needs a tiny bit of
lateral thinking.

Given that the pivot points for the CURRENT day have been computed from
YESTERDAY'S price data, in order to plot the Pivot on your chart, the
formula is:

Ref ( (H+L+C)/3 ,-1)

Create an indictor and call it Pivot.

The other levels are then computed as follows:

High Resistance             (R2)      Fml("Pivot") + Fml("Fml("R1") - Fml("S1")
Intermediate Resistance  (R1)     Fml("Pivot") * 2 - (Ref(L,-1)
Intermediate Support      (S1)    Fml("Pivot") * 2 - (Ref(H,-1)
Low Support                  (S2)    Fml("Pivot") - Fml("R1") - Fml("S1")

I suggest that you change the colours of the plots and then save it as a
template.

To create an Exploration to compute tomorrow's pivot levels, use these
formulas with the current prices rather than yesterday's prices.

I am not sure how Metastock decides current momentum but one way would be
to say if today's pivot is above the 3 day MA, then there is upwards momentum.

The general idea is that if the price breaks through R1 or S1, then R2 or
S2 will provide the next level of resistance. However, if you look at the
plots, you will see that there are often spikes through S2 and R2. I have
had quite a bit of success fading the spikes, i.e. when R2 is penetrated, I
go short and when S2 is penetrated, I go long. I have found that this works
best as a two day trade, i.e. exit at the close next day.

Any suggested improvements to this idea would be welcomed by me as I am
very interested in improving this system.

Regards,
Kevin

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/uetFAA/zMEolB/TM