  >From:
  kevin243@xxxxxxx

  To: <A
  title=equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 10:27
PM
  Subject: Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] v8
  System Tester Issues and how to fix.
  <FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2
  FAMILY="SANSSERIF">1 - Amibroker has its own language, AFL.  But there
  are many similarities.  I'm not saying this is effortless at all, ie.
  change to Amibroker.  I keep a copy of HELP up and running whenever I'm
  writing code.  For functions not available in Metastock, obviously this
  is all new code/syntax.  I've wasted a lot more time trying to understand
  8.0/8.01 than converting my current T/S to AFL (about 4 systems).  I
  wasted a lot of time finding out about the 20,000 report limit which wasn't
  documented anywhere in 8.0.  That really made me mad.  As to the
  current quirks of the System Tester, I find Equis response totally
  unacceptable.  With Amibroker, you can easily contact the owner,
  chief programmer, and discuss.  Equis, obviously insulates their top
  bosses from the people that use their software, otherwise they would publish
  their email addresses.  It didn't use to be that way at Equis.  The
  bosses at Equis have lost touch with their customer base.  I'm sure they
  just look at market share, customer profiles, competition, etc.
  Obviously selling Reuters data is as important or more important than selling
  software.30 days to evaluate their software, it took Equis more than
  30 days just to get 8.0 and 8.01 shipped to me.  They screwed up the
  shipping both times.2 -  I've asked for trade statistics to
  be reported in Percentage form or "Normalized" results.  They continue to
  report statistics in dollars which is worthless for comparing one stock to
  another or for consideration of future results.  Tell me this, if a
  system test reports the worst loss as $25,381, what does that tell you?
  Nothing, because until you know what was invested at the time, it tells you
  nothing.  If I had $40,000 invested at the time, this is a
  disaster.  If I had 2.5 million invested at the time, this is terrific
  results.  Do you realize that a stock split affects the dollar loss
  calculations and test statistics, where a stock split would have no effect on
  percentage (normalized) calculations?  Do you realize that the more
  successful your trading system is, the less useful the trading statistics are
  from Metastock? I refer you to "Trading Systems that Work", by Thomas
  Stridsman, or if you are more math oriented, Ralph Vinces works.
  Stridsman is quit critical of the software writers and their misleading
  backtest reports.  The back tester in Amibroker does report several of
  the statistics in % or normalized.  Further, you can adapt various
  trading templates that people have written to your database and trading
  system.  The issue of backtesting goes away completely.  Just click
  on a template, and you have alot of trading statistics, and that fast.
  Want different trade statistics, - just reprogram the template.Various
  references in Equis documentation point out that it is important to have a
  smooth equity curve.  I agree entirely.  This is Risk and Reward,
  not just Reward.  So "what" in the System backtester allows you to
  optimize a smooth equity curve?  A smooth equity curve can be defined or
  measured several different ways.  One way would be a regression slope of
  the equity curve along with a standard error, -all done in percentages.
  Another way would be the total % gain over that max equity drawdown in % over
  the same period.  So Equis says a smooth equity curve is important, but
  doesn't give you the tools to optimize on such a variable or find an gem in a
  stack of 8000 stocks or 15000 mutual funds.This isn't the standard
  report in amibroker, but you can get there very easily by exporting the
  amibroker test results over to Excel and dividing the total % return by the
  Max % System Drawdown.  Now all stocks are very comparable.  You
  will learn alot about your trading system, especially in terms of what kind of
  drawdowns you should be expecting in the future.  3 -
  Equis should be proud of their user interface.  The smart chart display,
  click and pick, even a simple bar chart has to be programmed in
  Amibroker.  Metastock is head and shoulders above Amibroker in terms of
  ease of use, graphics etc.  Almost everything you see and take for
  granted in Metastock, will probably have to be programmed by you in
  Amibroker.  However, once programmed, you don't have to do that
  again.  Remember that programming is power, control and understanding of
  the output you get.Here is the warning though.  That masterful
  user interface with Metastock has nothing to do with making money with the
  software.  Finding a trading system that you can trade, some stocks or
  markets that the system will generate a positive profit with reasonable risk
  expectation,  and along with careful money management is what is needed
  to make money.  Equis only addresses profits and nothing else (except the
  equity curve).After a few years of trading in wild and crazy markets,
  software interface doesn't mean much to me. Managing profits and risk is
  everything to making money, which is why I'm trading in the first place.
  I think some people rather program and make cool graphs and charts, than make
  money.  Maybe they think that the two are related, ... well they
  aren't.Kevin CampbellIn a message dated 5/13/03