From:	uhehs@xxxxxxxx [mailto:uhehs@xxxxxxxx]
Sent:	Sun 4/27/2003 10:17 AM
To:	Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:	RE: [Metastockusers] Re: System Tester

Ok, it finally sank in.  Thanks Joe, that makes sense.  I guess CLOSE with a DELAY of “1” is set in stone.  I’ll experiment with the lower time frame.

NOW, how about POINTS ONLY versus putting in say a $20,000 Initial Equity and 100% margin amount.
My test results are implying that every dollar is reinvested into the new trade.  That’s not realistic.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe J. [mailto:jojab@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2003 12:40 PM
To: Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Metastockusers] Re: System Tester

First of all, there is a way to set the Expert to only trigger at the close of a bar and I recommend that you do that.

I set up a custom indicator to plot "dots" when a system signal occurs (I use this as well as the Expert for dual confirmation).  We can get into that more later if you would like.  The point though is that those "dots" come on and off based on whether the signals are valid or not at that given point within the bar (before the close of that bar) when looking at the data in real time.  I do not "anticipate" a signal though.  I wait until the bar is finished and a confirmed signal is triggered.  I have seen countless examples of the signal triggering a long/short but it becomes invalid by the time of the close of the bar due to a move in the opposite direction.  Once a bar closes, and only then, the signal is valid and I enter the trade on the next bar's open.

To answer your other question, yes, you can set the system tester and your trading ideas to 1/2 hour bars to catch the intraday moves.  The trade off on shorter timeframes is always higher commissions and a greater slippage impact on the overall trade (you are trading for lower % moves so the commission/slippage factor becomes greater).

Good Trading,

Joe J.