  >From:
  Kevin
  Howard
  To: <A
  title=Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 8:23
AM
  Subject: RE: [Metastockusers] Exploration
  RSI(14) Problems

  <SPAN
  >Hi
  David,
  <SPAN

  Thanks for your suggestions. All my explorations are set at “Daily”
  Periodicity and “Most Recent Date” and all the charts I have checked,
  including false positives, are showing “D” for Daily. I do have 2 or 3 Layouts
  that show charts in Weekly mode but to the very best of my knowledge all of
  the base charts are Daily and in any event none of the shares in these layouts
  are being captured in the RSI(14) explorations .
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  ><SPAN

  Kevin
  <SPAN
  ><SPAN

  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  Message-----From: DAVID H.
  LINTON [mailto:dhlinton@xxxxxxxxxxxx] <SPAN
  >Sent: <st1:date Year="2003"
  Day="25" Month="4"><SPAN
  >Friday, 25 April
  2003<SPAN
  > <st1:time
  Minute="22" Hour="21"><SPAN
  >9:22
  PM<SPAN
  Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  >Subject: Re: [Metastockusers] Exploration
  RSI(14) Problems
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3>

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>Is it possible that the periodicity of
  your chart is different than that of your exploration? Or, that in exploration
  /edit/options, you have a specific date
set.

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>David
  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN
    >From:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> <A
    title=kjhoward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx href="">Kevin
    Howard

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >To:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> <A
    title=Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    href="">Metastockusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >Sent:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2>
    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2>April 25,
    2003<SPAN
    > <st1:time
    Minute="19" Hour="7"><SPAN
    >7:19
    AM<SPAN

    <FONT face=Arial
    size=2><SPAN
    >Subject:<FONT
    face=Arial size=2>
    [Metastockusers] Exploration RSI(14)
    Problems

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3><SPAN

    <SPAN
    >Hi Manish and
    <SPAN
    >Preston<FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN
    >,
    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    ><SPAN

    Thank you both for offering help with my RSI (14) Exploration
    problems. I have spent the best part of today trying to move forward but I
    am still identifying false positives. That is I am still identifying shares
    that should have crossed above the RSI (14) 30 level within the last 5
    trading days, but in fact have not been below RSI (14) 30 during this
    period. I only have limited MS programming skills but I have happily used MS
    for the past 5 years and I have used my own explorations successfully for
    much of this time. However I would say I am a little shaken with the problem
    I am currently experiencing.
    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    ><SPAN

    Taking each of your posts in turn, I pasted your Exploration code
    Manish and it ran smoothly but did not eliminate my “false positive”
    problem. I am afraid I was not able to work out the logic behind what looks
    to be a nice piece of code, so I could not take it any further. Could you
    briefly how you exploration works?
    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    ><SPAN

    <SPAN
    >Preston<FONT
    face=Arial size=2> I
    picked up on your suggestion re validation but this has only deepened my
    concern. I had previously looked upon validation as being required when
    there was a possibility that there may be a logic conflict within an
    Exploration code. I would have thought that Alert (Cross (RSI (14), 30), 5)
    was fairly unambiguous, (in fact the ‘RSI cross 70’ is given as an “Alert”
    example on Page 220 of my User Manual), but apparently not. Nevertheless I
    have now used the following as an attempt to validate:

    <SPAN

    <SPAN
    ><SPAN

    A: =Alert (Cross (RSI (14), 30), 5);
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>B: =If
    (BarsSince (A) <=5, 1, 0); B=1
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>But this
    still gave me false positives, i.e. shares that had not been below 30 within
    the past 5 trading days. So I ran another exploration this time using the
    following filter:
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN
    >BarsSince (RSI (14) <30)
    <=5 AND
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN
    >BarsSince (RSI (14)>30)
    <=5
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>I also
    used my columns A to F to record the RSI (14) values for each of the past 5
    trading days using the ‘ref’ function. To my astonishment and despair I
    still captured shares whose RSI (14) value had not been below 30 during the
    past 5 trading days. So is my logic wrong with these attempts to validate or
    have I somehow corrupted my MS software or
data?
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>I should
    add that I definitely take your point about trading whipsaws. The reason why
    I am so pedantic about wanting to capture shares only where either RSI (14)
    has crossed 30 or MACD () signals ‘Buy’ and desirably to have both occur
    within the last few trading days is that I then want to overlay a composite
    template over such selected shares, interpret the resultant graph and then
    act on this interpretation. The RSI and MACD signals do not form part of the
    template but are highly correlated in situations where the template signals
    a buy or sell action. On a small sample of shares (5) in real life, the
    template has given exceptionally good and unambiguous results. However as I
    cannot employ all the parameters used in the template as an exploration or
    System Tester code, I am left with having to manually test it on a larger
    number of potential candidate shares before I get too carried away with its
    usefulness as a trading tool.
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>Two
    final points: I too thought that Ref -1 gave yesterday’s value and Ref -2
    gave the trading day before. But now I strongly suspect that it gives the
    value of the last and second last day that a particular share or derivative
    traded. For example in the first validation attempt used above, I used two
    of the A-F column to record the DayOfMonth () and ref (dayofmonth (),-1)
    values. I fully expected to see 24 and 23 returned respectively (25 is a
    public holiday in <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN
    >Australia<FONT
    face=Arial size=2>). The
    majority reflected these values but a substantial minority did not, but did
    appear to reflect the last and second last days they traded. So I would
    welcome clarification on the reference function. And finally I still would
    very much like to filter out derivatives and retain straight stock. So if
    there is anyway of filtering on the Ticker Symbol character size within
    Metastock, I would greatly appreciate being told about
    it.
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>I really
    am finding this RSI (14) a difficult problem to solve and yet I know it must
    be that I am doing something or some things wrongly. So any further insights
    from either of you or any others on the list would be really well received
    here.
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2>Thanks
    again, Kevin Howard
    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT
    face=Arial size=2><SPAN

    <FONT face="Times New Roman"
    size=3><FONT
    face="Courier New" size=2>To unsubscribe from
    this group, send an email to:<FONT face="Courier New"
    size=2><SPAN
    ><FONT
    face="Courier New">Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
    face="Courier New" size=2>Your use of Yahoo!
    Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
    Terms of Service.
  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=3><BR
  ><BR
  ><FONT
  face="Courier New" size=2>To unsubscribe from
  this group, send an email to:<FONT face="Courier New"
  size=2><FONT
  face="Courier New">Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
  face="Courier New" size=2>Your use of Yahoo!
  Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
  Terms of Service.
  to:Metastockusers-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxYour use
  of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <A