Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Inaccurate Indicators

Many thanks to Henry who originally posted the Readme file that came with version 8.01.  I rarely read them, but this one contained an amazing list of items that were fixed in this mini-upgrade and your post brought the enormity of the correction to my attention.

Note that one of their corrections is:

Regarding inaccurate indicators:

* Linear Regression indicator calculating incorrectly.

I don't know what prompted the original post regarding the inaccurate indicators, but anyone using Linear Regression sure had problems.  This is one inaccuracy that they (Equis) are owning up to, and if you read through the extensive list of errors that were in 8.0 relating to the System Tester, including rounding errors, how many of these types of errors are being carried through to indicator problems?

Which for me, brings up another point regarding the System Tester.  I coded a few system tests in version 8.0 and I came up with results that bore little resemblance to what I expected, including several entry points (generally with no corresponding exit points) when there should have been but one.  I thought that my coding was incorrect, even though I was a computer programmer several years ago.  Then in the Readme file I see that one of their problems was "Good Until Cancelled" stop orders are executed multiple times" and " Stop values containing decimal amounts are rounded to the nearest whole number" just to name a couple of things that can screw up results.  I had similar problems in earlier versions of MetaStock, and having spent several years in software development know that you don't make brand new code in an upgrade but revise and modify old code.  So, I wonder how much of what they corrected actually pertained only to version 8.0, and how much was embedded in earlier versions from day one?

To own up to the horrendous quantity and magnitude of errors in a released version of software is commendable, but to have released it in that condition in the first place is absolutely deplorable.

Jay

Per the Readme file, the following issues have been fixed in version 8.01:

(If it comes through, the System Tester fixes are in blue, bold, italic, the indicator error in red italic.)

* Older MSJET files causing crashes in Enhanced System Tester.
* Enhanced System Tester not reversing trades when delay is set.
* Enhanced System Tester not saving deletion of an optimization.
* Enhanced System Tester optimization min and max settings cannot be the same.
* Profit/Loss Index calculating incorrectly.
* Optimized system tests with a step value of 0 (imported from earlier versions of MetaStock) crashing the Enhanced System Tester.
* Optimized system tests displaying Minimum and Maximum values < 1 improperly.
* Optimized system tests not warning you when the optimization values are not set.
* Percent sign appears when slippage values are displayed in points.
* You cannot print Enhanced System Tester formulas.
* Expert Advisor accesses the hard drive excessively.
* Enhanced System Tester unable to test compressed local data.
* MSX Formula DLL's do not import properly.
* Windows XP themes not supported properly.
* PP+(Demo) names unclear (changed to PP(Dow 30).
* Occasional errors in PowerPivots formula calculations.
* Tool Tips missing for color palette and system tester buttons.
* In Windows XP, MetaStock not saving changes to the "view" options.
* Favorites list deleted upon MetaStock crash.
* Occasional problems with MSJET installation during setup.
* Occasional connection problems with QCharts.
* Stale data notification not displaying properly.
* "p" variable no longer works with Enhanced System Tester. (Security function now enabled in EOD version.)
* Unable to change a security's symbol when it resides in a folder containing 6,000 securities.
* Online explorations giving different results as local explorations.
* Inaccurate account variations in simulation report.
* Stop values containing decimal amounts are rounded to the nearest whole number.
* "Good Until Cancelled" stop orders are executed multiple times.
* Enhanced System Tester not testing on most recent date for securities saved in the Favorites list.
* Users with FAT32 systems unable to run system tests that generate more than 20,000 reports. Can now run more than 1,000,000.
* Trailing Profit stop calculates on total equity instead of trade profit.
* Automatic Stock Split not enabled for Reuters DataLink.
* 90 day CD verification check functioning improperly.
* Linear Regression indicator calculating incorrectly.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor