[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Mutual Funds

ETFs are a basket of stocks, but thats where the similarity with
stocks ends!! Unlike stocks ETFs don` t have balance sheet problems,
earnings surprprises, SEC procedings, class actions etc.....Much lower
volatility.  So in trading ETFs  you do not have to make any
provisions against such events. Just like mutual funds. But unlike
those, you can get out of them quickly. Still most trade them with
holding periods of 3 to 10 weeks or even longer.

Check out www.stockcharts.com select Charts, select Public Charts,
look for a guy named Jef Mindrup. Look at his charts for trading
Profunds or  Rydex SP500 and QQQ 200% long and short. Well described
easy system. Others use Elders MACD-Histogram system. Or the
Fabian-rules (based on 39 wk MAs)

Not all mutual funds charge redemption fees. But still there are fees
(hidden or visible), which makes ETFs again preferable.

FT is for FastTrack, a special TA-system including datafeed and
proprietary indicators for mutual funds. Heavy backtesters. Very
active community.

Regards

frankphd_us

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DAVID  H. LINTON"
<dhlinton@xxxx> wrote:
> I am Canadian. I trade Canadian mutual funds using core trading
techniques.
> What is FT?
> I do not understand why you group ETFs with mutual funds rather than
with stocks. Sure, an ETF is a basket of stocks like a mutual fund,
but, the similarity ends there. They can be traded like stocks. Mutual
funds on the other hand, at least in Canada, are valued only once per
day and therefore require a different trading approach (my opinion).
> All Canadian mutual funds have in their prospectus that they can
charge a 2% short term trading fee for holds less than 90 days. Is
this the same in the states? If so, how do you actively trade around a
rule like that?
> David

ETFs
>   using MS. Most fundtimers and -traders use FT and are at their
-pay-
>   forums.
>
>   Somehow most gave me the impression, FT is more appropriate for
funds.

>   You don`t want to teach, but any gross indication which methods
you
>   prefer for funds (maybe different from stocktrading) ?
>
>   Regards
>

>   --- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "kelols" <kelols@xxxx>
wrote:
>   > Hello Metastock junkies,
>   >
>   > Last year I started using Metastock. I've been trading for a
living
>   > for a few years, and Metastock has helped increase my trading
>   > efficiency and productivity. I only trade mutal funds and some
ETFs.
>   >
>   > Yeah, Mutual Funds. All of the traders I know who trade for a
living
>   > and not as a sideline, and I know a lot of them, trade mainly
mutual
>   > funds and ETFs--regardless of what they may say publicly.
That's
>   > where they get most of their money--at least the ones I know
who
>   > aren't starving. When you go to a party and people ask what you
do
>   > for a living and you tell them you trade mutual funds, they
think you
>   > can make more money selling girl scout cookies. I guess they
feel
>   > sorry for me. Oh well, what they don't know won't hurt me!
>   >
>   > Anybody in this Metastock users group trade mutual funds as
their
>   > primary trading focus?
>   >
>   > I see lots of option traders and all kinds of futures traders
and
>   > some stock traders. A lot of questions go around about options,
>   > futures, and some stocks. I haven't seen anything about mutual
funds.
>   > I guess the gamblers like options better. It gets the
adrenaline
>   > flowing.
>   >
>   > Let me know if there are any boy scouts and old ladies out there
that
>   > have figured out why you can make more money trading mutual
funds
>   > than you can make from all the other stuff--and no I don't use
>   > someone's email alert system or whatever.
>   >
>   > By the way, there are mutual funds that specialize in options
trading
>   > and futures trading. You can live vicariously through them with
>   > whole lot less risk.
>   >
>   > If you trade Mutual Funds, less exchange a little info. However,
not
>   > to be rude, I don't want to teach someone how to trade mutual
funds,
>   > just to talk to a few traders that I don't know who ARE trading
>   > mutual funds.
>   >
>   > JO
>   >
>   > I'm going to post this in the other Metastock site also. So if
you
>   > think you've seen it twice--you have!
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/BefplB/TM