[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Bollinger Bands

TAKEN DIRECTLY FROM:
http://www.eis.pl/kr/AFM/e-w-Bollinger_Bands.htm

Bollinger Bands are built into MetaStock™, however you may prefer to
use the individual custom formulas. The custom formulas for the
components of the Bollinger Bands are as follows:

{%B}
( ( C+2 * std( C,20 ) - mov( C,20,S ) ) /
( 4 * std( C,20 ) ) ) * 100

{Band Width}
((mov(C,20,S) + (2*(std(C,20))) - (mov(C,20,S) - (2*(std(C,20)))) /
mov(C,20,S)))

{Upper Band:}
mov( C,20,S ) + ( 2 * ( std( C ,20 ) ) )

{Lower Band:}
mov( C,20,S ) - ( 2 * ( std( C ,20 ) ) )

{Middle Band:}
mov( C,20,S )

{Bollinger Bands 3n1}
Periods:=Input("Lookback Periods",5,50,20);
; {Upp} Mov( C, Periods, S )+( 2 * Stdev( C, Periods ))
; {Mid} Mov( C, Periods, S )
; {Low} Mov( C, Periods, S )-( 2 * Stdev( C, Periods ))

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "keith" <janus36@xxxx> wrote:
> HI Roy & Chuck, thanks for the replies,  you're right, that wasn't
the problem,my fault- I didn't explain it properly .  the problem is
not how to make a BB formula but how to put an exact Stdev in the
fomula and know what it will do.
> say I want a Bollinger Band to contain 90% of price action, is this
2Stdev(no),
>   1.883 Stdev , don't know ?
> if I had the formula how it's constructed, I could tailor a BB  to
suit, by trial & error, and know that the result is statictically
accurate( i hope?)

> i think from memory 1Stdev is about 67%, 2Stdev about 96% and
3Stdev about 99%, but
> the old memory isn't as good as it was !
>
> Roy, i didn't think to check the help file first, sorry, i'll do so
tonight.
> I hope this explanation is better.
>
> thanks  keith

That's why I phrased my reply as a question.   I'm sure that you
already know how to use the built-in functions as well as how to
calculate them yourself.

>   I have read the original email several times and there is yet
another answer that we both could have missed.   If you take the
original question literally, the answer would be something like:

>   Stdev(bbandtop( close, 10, S, 2 ),10)
>
>   But, somehow, I don't think that is what is wanted either.
>
>   So... Keith... I hope that one of us has answered your question.
If not, we are all too happy to help once we understand what it is
that you want to do.

Bollinger
>     Bands". Having been through the process of needing and working
out the
>     underlying calculation, as opposed to the canned version
syntax, I made the
>     possibly wrong assumption that Keith also wanted the same
information. I
>     guess it depends on what question Keith was really asking.
>
>     Roy

Service.
>     >
>     >

Service.

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.

Get a FREE REFINANCE QUOTE - click here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2CXtTB/ca0FAA/i5gGAA/BefplB/TM