[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Security() function & McClellan Summation Index

This is my version of the MSI

AI:=Security("c:\Metastock Data\EOD\market indicators\X.NASD-A",C);
DECI:=Security("c:\Metastock Data\EOD\market indicators\X.NASD-D",C);
A:=AI-DECI;
Cum(Mov(A,19,E) - Mov(A,39,E))

using the security function, you have to specify the data path

Henry
--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jawjahtek <jawjahtek@xxxx>"
<jawjahtek@xxxx> wrote:
> I was unaware of this new Security function capability.
> Question: Has anyone used this (or some other function) to
backtest
> and/or optimize the McClellan Summation Index to generate buy/sell
> signals on a stock index? It's easy to set up a composite security
in
> the Downloader from the Advances & Declines. The Metastock
pulldown
> menu tells you how to do this. But backtesting and/or optimizing
did
> not seem possible.
>
> I met Sherman McClellan about 8 years ago in Los Angeles. He and
his
> wife created the index (and oscillator) in the 1960s. They made a
> somewhat arbitrary choice of 5% and 10% EMAs simply because they
were
> easy to calculate by hand (no pc in those days!) and they seemed
> match the market's movement.
>
> So there is nothing sacred about these values (5% and 10%), and a
> case could be made that the market will always defeat these values
> since the index and oscillator are widely published with these
values.