Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] correct method of calculating RSI

Preston
I have attached an excel spreadsheet and 2 gif files showing the problem I
am having with RSI(10) calculations.

Bourse 5.0.0.18 gives 74.11459127
Metastock 7.02  gives 79.16034833

for ORG, (Origin energy) for 27/8/2001.

If you look at the calculations for 22/8 and 23/8 you will see where the
differences arise.
Bourse uses the previous day's running totals where there is no difference
between the successive day's closing prices.
Metastock multiplies the total by 9, adds the difference, in this case zero.
This has the effect of changing the subtotal, which is then divided by 10.
The 10% discrepancy results in significant differences in RSI values.
On 23/8/01 the difference in RSI(10) is small, 0.14, whereas 2 days later
the difference is significant.
I would like to be able to use the bourse method of calculation to derive my
RSI figures but to do it in Metastock. I am exploring RSI crossovers and
need correct values. You cannot do this sort of work in Bourse except
visually one stock at a time. I need much more data to go on.
I have no idea of how to do this as I have no experience in programming
Metastock language.
Is there a plugin that gives the correct RSI value in Metastock?
I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Regards

Mike Slattery