Performance Systems for commodities?

Hi folks  - I'm a Metastock novice trying to
find out what works and what doesn't.  I've been running Performance
Systems compares on specific commodities to see what might work well.
Since you supposedly need 500 days of data for P.S. testing, I have been using
continuous contracts.  The results so far don't look like anything I want
to trade.  Do P.S.'s just not work for commodities?  Anybody know what
I might be doing wrong?  I get my data from Reuters, and I've tried all the
different options for smoothing the concatenation of the month
contracts.

Any ideas?       Ed
Burcher