WinXP Workarounds (was which Windows?)

Ok, silly of me to say I have a metastock XP fix and then not post it.... so
I will now remedy that  :)

I had two problems with Metastock on XP (I have had both problems on two
different machines, so I assume it's fairly common). I came up with these
fixes myself, so am curious to know if others have the same problems I had
and these fixes work.

First, I had problems installing it. I don't remember the error, but it just
wouldn't work.

Solution: copy CD contents to hard disk, run the setup.exe in Windows 98
compatibility mode (right click > properties > compatibility). I recollect
there being some warning messages during the install but it all works fine
for me, 0 problems.

Second, regular crashing once installed.

Solution: select "mswin.exe" (the main metastock program file), right click
> properties > compatibility mode > "Disable visual themes". That turns off
the fancy round corners, etc., so when you run it it looks more like an "old
style" (ie Win2K) windows program, no big deal.

I have had no metastock problems at all since applying these workarounds.
Does make me wonder (and I've had an offline discussion with a group member
who shares my concerns) about the quality of Equis' engineering. Generally,
if you follow the "rules" of writing windows software, upgrades won't affect
you. Suspicious.

This is one of the great features of XP, "Compatibility mode". I've had a
few packages that didn't run straight away on XP, but compatibility mode has
fixed all of them. Cool!

Cheers,

Mark