RE: eVWMA (June 2001 TASC)

At 12:54 PM 5/29/01 -0600, you wrote: >>>> List,
A similar question came into Support. We had to make a slight change to make it work consistently:

n:=Input("Enter the number of shares:",100000000,100000000000,100000000);
eVWMA:=((n-V)*PREV+(V*C))/n;
eVWMA

<<
This works even less on EOD data ... one has to enter a value not less than 100,000,000 ... considering that n excludes shares held by institutional investers this doesn't let the formula do what it is supposed to, i.e. enter a number of shares that is significantly smaller than the total (C.F. suggests 1%).
Please also note that Reuters scales EOD volumes by 100.
Care to try again Equis :-) ?
Herman.
Lynn Equis Support <http://www.equis.com/>http://www.equis.com/> <http://www.equis.com/customer/support/>http://www.equis.com/customer/support/>
Please include previous email answers and questions in your response.
Equis and MetaStock and MetaStock Professional are registered trademarks of Equis International. Achelis Binary Wave, The DownLoader, Expert Advisor, OptionScope, Quotecenter, and Smart Charts are trademarks of Equis International.

-----Original Message----- From: Herman van den Bergen [mailto:psytek@xxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 4:22 PM To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: eVWMA (June 2001 TASC)

In the June issue of TASC is an article by Christian Fries on the development of a "Elastic Moving Average", a volume sensitive moving average. The basic formula to make the indicator is:

n:=Input("Enter the number of shares: ",1,1000000,1);

eVWMA:=((n-V)*PREV+(V*C))/n;

eVWMA;

It has interesting possibilities and provides good opportunities to play with, however I have two problems with it:

1) applying it to the QQQ I get an "Overflow in MUL() function". I think this is due to the high volumes of the QQQ. Any ideas how to fix this?

2) the QQQ has a rather wide range of volumes since its inception and the eVWMA changes character rather drastically over a period of several years for this equity. With a number of shares of 1000000 it starts off rather smooth but in the end it is hardly distinguishable from the price. As is, its usefulness appears short term...

I would like it to maintain its filtering characteristic more constant over time with EOD prices, i.e. its usefulness as compared to the price, by scaling the "no. Shares" input with a volume derived factor (perhaps MA?). Any ideas on this?

Best regards,

Herman.
<<