Re: System Tester Equity Line

Thanks, Dave.  My problem is that I am going to test swing trade setups and
they don't have a lot of  trades on an individual stock sometimes.  But when
you take them in context of 100's of  stocks, they work fine.  So I'm
interested in getting the data correct to build a valid data base of maybe
thousands of trades.

So, I'd like to get the number of trades, winners, equity, etc accurate.

Now it appears that  "Periods" defines not only defines the Indicator
duration (a MA in this case) but could also be used as a valid starting
point for the data.  For example, if you had a 50 day MA then the indicator
is not valid until you have 50 days of data.  Thus you would have up to the
the number of "Periods" to do the intitalization on the POSN.

So what if you added an if statement to the appropriate formulas to
disregard all the trades (specifically the setup trade) prior to the time
the data was valid?  Examples below.

EQTY:=If(Cum(1)<Periods,0,Cum(If(Ref(POSN,-1)=1,EntryPoint-Ref(EntryPoint,-1
),0)));
{keeps equity at zero through the # of periods.  You would then force your
dummy trade to happen prior to the end of periods}

TotTrades:=If(Cum(1)<Periods,0,Cum(Cross(POSN,0.5)));

WinTrade:=If(Cum(1)<Periods,0,(ValueWhen(1,Ref(Cross(POSN,0.5),-1),EntryPoin
t)<ValueWhen(1,Ref(Cross(0.5,POSN),-1),EntryPoint)));

Winners:=If(Cum(1)<Periods,0,Cum(Cross(WinTrade,0.5)));

This would say that you would use the "Periods" even if your indicator
didn't require it for the trade.  You might set it at 3 for a minimum and
set the EnterLong dummy at 1 and ExitLong dummy at 2.

Thoughts?

Tom