FW: Current Day!

Jeff:

As promised, I just tested our date routines again and they are indeed
calculating correctly.  The results you are seeing are definitely caused by
the precision error inherent in single precision floating point numbers.
Future versions of MetaStock *may* use double precision approximations for
floating point numbers rather than single precision approximations.  I am
unable to give a specific time frame as to when this capability will be
available.

In the meantime, I could offer a suggestion that reflects what we had to do
with MetaStock data files.  Those files are also maintained in single
precision numbers (once again to save disk storage space).  The dates in
those files are actually stored in 7 digits rather than the inaccurate 8.
The format used for dates is YYYMMDD.  Note that three digits are used for
the year rather than four.  The year is encoded as the number of years AFTER
1900.  For example 001031 represents 10/31/1900.  Likewise, 1011031
represents 10/31/2001.

A formula could be written as follows to produce this result:

DOM:=DayOfMonth();
MON:=Month();
YR:=Year()-1900;

DT := (YR * 10000) + (MON * 100) + DOM;

The DT variable would now contain a date in the format YYYMMDD with the year
representing the three digit value as described above.

Ken Hunt
Programming Manager
Equis International