Re: Discount Stock Broker Evaluation

Web brokers like eTrade, AmeriTrade, Schwab (except for their Cyberbroker
branch) let you trade via forms on a browser window.  Direct Access brokers
give you a client application that you install on your program which
communicates directly (without using HTML) to a host application on their
file servers.  The Direct Access approach gives you much faster (hence more
up to date) charts, Level II displays, and execution.  You usually have a
choice of using your mouse or predefined function keys or hotkeys to
execute your trades.   On a Web brokerage account, getting a transaction
done and confirmed within 30 seconds is considered pretty good.  On a
Direct Access account, getting it done in 5 seconds is considered
unacceptably slow.    With the direct access software you also can have
virtually unlimited charts and tables running at the same time (if you have
a fast enough PC) so that you can monitor several stocks in real time.

-uf