Re: OT (sort of): on Internet Explorer problem ...

To <Tseshuyan@xxxxxxx> and Jim Barone:

I have a pretty much ancient computer: 166Mhz P-MMX, 64MB 60ns
RAM with Win98 and cable Web. All periphery is up to date, so the only
drawback here is the motherboard with CPU and RAM. If there are no
problems with software (like mine with IE), the hardware, I think,  still
lets run 3-5 IE's open windows, a few other applications simultaneously
(like Medved Quote Tracker, datek streamer). Mind, I do not daytrade, so
I can afford to reload an application or reboot if anything goes wrong.
Also, to avoid crashes I occasionally use RamBooster to clean up RAM.
In other words, it's obvious I should not overload the "granddaddy". Why
staying with hardware that old ? Two years ago it was just 2 years old
:-) . Now I am waiting for the motherboard to appear to make a quantum
leap - to fast CPU, bus, new USB, etc., to reclaim bragging rights :-) .

So, regarding

> Is this telling me I need a new computer since the current one is about
> 4yrs9 months?

I don't think so if your computer is not much worse than mine. As a last
resort, you can reformat your HD drive and install everything from a
scratch. It will be as much trouble as when installing your stuff on new
computer, but at least you don't have to buy anything :-) . But again, I
am not a computer guru.

As for

>...Before you changed versions of IE, were you having other system
>...problems. In my case, Outlook Express seems to be errant on occasion
>...and the system crashes periodically when using IE. The OS is Windows
>...98SE on an 800Mhz P-III, 128MB 133 Ram. Did you have similar problems?

Yes, similar. Outlook Express used to be errant on occasion and took long to
load - close to 1 min (nothing unusual, they say,  if you have too many
messages in Inbox which I had). With IE5.5 I experienced kind of hesitation
on its part before loading a new page, once in a while it would freeze, but
yet it has been much more stable than Netscape which I loved for too long
:-(  .

On IEradicator. As with any surgery, it's risky. Though, the program is not
a masterpiece of some junior high student. Some years ago, Microsoft haters
started a movement to relieve the OS of all those whistles/bells to make it
faster, reliable. Win98Lite is a product, and  IEradicator byproduct of this
idea. For some time I followed  threads about Win98Lite and got an
impression it was made quite professionally. Of course, my real experience
is limited by a single use of IEradicator, but what a heck ...it did the
job.

If I can be of further help, e-mail me.

Cheers, Vitaly

P.S. Forgot to mention. Sometimes temporary shutting down of my dear
ZoneAlarm , helps retrieve e-mail from my ISP @Home, and connect to
Preferred servers. Don't have any idea how to deal with this in a better
way.