OT (sort of): on Internet Explorer problem ...

Hi all,

A while ago I complained about my problems with a proprietary trading
software from Preferred brokerage. To remind, it was excruciatingly slow,
often refused to connect - although the very idea was to make it faster than
by a browser. By now I've found the cause and thought my experience may be
of use to other listers, even for those who deal with other brokerages. It's
more about Window OS.

What I tried fixing: reinstalled Preferred software, overinstalled Win98 (I
didn't want to start from a scratch - to install on formatted HD), played
with network settings in Control Panel. Nothing helped. What did help is
reinstalling Internet Explorer. The problem was that IE is an integral part
of OS, so that you cannot just "delete" it, the best you can do according to
Microsoft, is to go to a previous version if you keep any which I didn't
:-(. The key was a tiny free program called IEradicator
(http://www.98lite.net/ieradicator.html) that removes (not restores an
older version) everything but those parts of IE vital to OS functioning.
Then I overinstalled Win98 from CD which automatically installed its
IE4 as well, and then upgraded back to IE 5.5. Mind, when I tried to
overinstall Win98 before, without the trick with IEradicator, it would
leave IE alone as it was, thus keeping my trouble intact.

It cured all my problems. As a bonus, I've got much more smoothly working
IE, including Outlook Express that loads like a snap now. A lesson to me is
that IE can affect communications of even standalone pieces of software (I
blamed everything but IE).

Hope it may help others.

Cheers, Vitaly