From: Dave Nadeau <dave_nadeau@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 01, 2001 12:04 AM
Subject: Why Optimization Won't Kill My System and Will It Work In The
Future?

> OK, this is a work in process, but I wanted to put these ideas out here
for comment.  I'd love to hear any corrections or additional thoughts on
this
> approach:
> I've often asked myself this question about over optimizing my systems and
have avoided trying to find optimal parameters, probably to my system's
> detriment.
>
> I am reading a book, The Encyclopedia of Trading Strategies by Jeffrey
Katz and Donna McCormick, which provides an excellent treatment of this
> subject and offers and answer to this nagging question.
>
> (Any mathematicians or those better versed in statistics, please feel free
to chime in orcorrect any misstatements that I might make.  I am basically
> talking through something I've just learned...)
>
> By performing a t-test on the resulting set of trading Profit and Losses,
you can tell what is the likelihood that you have a workable system or just
> one that you happened upon by chance....or have over-fitted with
optimization.

> I will use two different real world examples to demonstrate this in
Metastock:

> Example 1:
>
> I will run two tests over the same data set, a continuous contract of the
S&P 500 futures, daily bars, from April 1982 to present.  I'll start with
the
> built in Equis: Negative Volume Index w/ Opt system in the System Tester.
This system runs a total of 20 optimization steps varying the Moving
> Average from 10 to 200 and shows a profitable "Points Only" result of 827
points (incl slippage & commissions) over the period versus a buy and hold
> profit of 747 points. Looks good!!!
>
> In the Results.... dialogue, I will right click and copy all of my
individual trades for the in-sample test period, in this case 136 trades.
These I will
> paste into Excel, then sort and delete the "Out" trading positions, just
keeping the Longs and Shorts.
> I'll continue my analysis in Excel by finding the mean value of the set of
Profit and Loss data generated by my trades, cell formula:  =AVERAGE
> (X1:X137) for example.  I'll also calculate the Standard Deviation, e.g.
cell formula:  =STDEV(X1:X137).  Also figure the total number of results
that
> you have, e.g. cell formula =COUNT(X1:X137).
>
> Now the t-value is just the MEAN divided by the Standard Deviation divided
by the square root of the number of results, e.g. (MEAN/(STDEV/
> (SQRT(COUNT)))).  Higher t-values are better.  Using the function
=TDIST(t-value,COUNT,1) will give you a probability.  This t-test is testing
for a
> statistical difference between two means, in this case, the mean of the
P/L and zero, or no profits.
> Now, I end up with a probability of 10%, so what???  Well, this tells me
that there is about a 10% chance that my results or profits were random, or
> just profitable by chance or luck.  The system also has about a nine in
ten chance of continuing to work in the out of sample period or in actual
> trading.  But wait, there's more....
>
> Optimization: If I take the extra step and consider the optimization on
the system, then the results get worse.  This optimization consisted of 20
> steps, so I'd take (1-.10)=90% chance of success in the future or out of
sample data raised to the power of 20,  (.90^20)=11% !!!  So much for a good
> chance of profits in the future! This is a great example of
overoptimization.

> Example 2:
>
> I'll compare the above system to the Equis: Moving Average Crossovers w/
Opt.  Over the same data with the same commission and slippage
> allowances, the net Points Only profit is 1109 versus Buy and Hold of 747
points.  Total trades were 291 for this system.  However, this system test
> used 60 optimization steps to arrive at this improved result...3 times as
many as Example 1.

> The results in this analysis yield a t-statistic of 2.64.  The probability
of success as calculated above is 99.5%.

> After adjusting this for the 60 optimization steps, the lowered
probability of success or profits is 92%.

> So even though this system has gone through greater optimization, it looks
like it has a greater probability of holding up in the future.