Re: A handle on candles

Corey,

I chart all futures and equities in candlesticks...hey, we're talking supply
and demand here.  A candle is just a graphic representation of the
accumulation and distribution.  Certain one, two and three day formations
are more reliable than others.  It's similar to classic chart analysis.  If
Edwards and Magee didn't absolutely "ape" these 400 year old candle
patterns...there would be a problem (island reversals/morning and evening
stars; outside days/bullish and bearish engulfing patterns; etc. etc.)

Fear and greed drive the markets and these repeating "psychological"
behavioral patterns repeat in most fair markets.

Can one make a living solely on monitoring candles?  I doubt it.  I
considered myself as a decent chart reader, but only trigger trades using
momentum oscillators, within a specific, defined set of rules.  That doesn't
mean I find no value in the candles.  The candle analysis allows for a lot
of subjective interpretations.  When one is trading many markets or many
accounts, subjectivity is the one's biggest enemy.  I would love to think
that my intuition and cross-disciplined technical education would lead me to
the absolute best decisions in all trading...but, hey, I know that I'm not
very bright and that I am affected by my emotions.  The only thing that
makes sense to me is to establish rules, stick to them and watch you equity
appreciate.

Take care,

Steve Karnish, CTA
Cedar Creek Trading