RE: Lag In Moving Avg

One of the most
interesting combination to filter the lag can be to use the <SPAN
class=626005513-11022001>MACD signals that preceed the
actual crossing of price and MA in both directions and ADX to check a reverse in
trend.
<FONT
color=#0000ff>
In any case, ma's and
trendlines (with fibonacci retracements numbers) can give you the the 80% in the
80%-20% paradigm.
<FONT
color=#0000ff>
Good
Trading.
<FONT
color=#0000ff>
Moshe
Shalom

<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Rakesh
SahgalSent: Monday, February 12, 2001 4:00 AMTo:
metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: Lag In Moving
AvgThe issue of lag brings alongwith it the issue of noise.
To me they seem to be inversely related. I have been using  Double EMA (
i.e EMA of EMA) of MP(). To compensate for lag I use short term durations in my
MA crossover system . This allows me to catch a fairly substantial portion of
all major moves in trending markets. The lag may not be addressed here but yes
noise certainly is filtered out and only effective signals are recognised.
One technique that has been talked about here on the forum in the recent
past which while not addressing the issue of lag in MAs' but focusing on
catching turns pretty much near the point of occurence was Bressert's Double
Stochastic. Double EMAs' coupled along with Stochastic of RSI  and Double
Stochastics provide reasonably profitable trades. This system has worked quite
effectively for me for quite some time now. I would like to enter a caveat here,
that this works only in trending markets, the focus being on catching major
portions of the trend.So the question to my mind is do we live with a
bit of lag as long as we filter out noise or do we rule out lag and take the
noise along with it. While I know I am digressing from the basic issue of this
particular thread I would like to suggest an approach based on using signals
arising from a combination of these three tools or any other tools that each
individual is comfortable with, as I believe at the end of any discussion we are
looking for a means of making as many profit making trades as possible and
avoiding as many bad trades as is possible.Rakesh