Re: Excel 2000 VBa book

Walter,
Excel VBa does have possibilities and I do plan to read "Microsoft Excel 2000
Power Programming with VBa" and "'Special'
Edition Using Excel 2000."  What I like about Excel, while tracking a few
symbols, is its ability to create custom TA which Metastock cannot.  For
example, if you wanted to combine more than 2-4 symbols for a custom indicator.

If you aren't already familiar with true visual programming in VB or VC++, it's
probably best you stick with Metastock or Excel VBa.  Getting results in
programming can be tedious, especially if you're not experienced.  However, if
you truly want to program, EBAY has MS Visual Studio 6 Enterprise for only about
$250.  This has EVERYTHING.  It is huge requiring 8 CD's and includes VB6, VC++
6, J++, and more.  If I ever get back into programming, and with the
http://www.FMLabs.com product I just might, this is the package I would get.

For now I will stick with VBa.  However, there are 2 drawbacks to Excel VBa.
First, in order to get 8,785 symbols continually updated realtime in Excel, you
need the VBa code.  The only way to obtain this is to get BMI/eSignal/DBC to
cough it up.  Without their support, you can pretty much forget it.  Because
Excel is the standard, I'm pretty sure DBC has the code.  If I bothered them
long enough, I think they may actually send it to me.  <G>

Second, I used Excel VBa to update a small 3 tab spreadsheet consisting of 250
symbols via the Net and it was pretty slow.  It appears that VBa, as with most
other macro languages, is rather slow.  You would need some major computing
power to track even 1,000 symbols.  Although considering that Excel is
inexpensive (and free if you already have it), this is not really that bad,
quite good in fact.

The only other product I can think of which gives you realtime alerts based on
programmed criteria is Omega Research's $2400 Radar 2000i.  Telescan has its
$250 ProSearch Alert.  However, I believe Telescan's output is at a set
interval, not true realtime.  I think to get realtime alerts it would probably
be simpler (and more productive) to use one of these if you can afford it.

Daniel.