From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Walter Lake
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 6:34 AM
To: Metastock bulletin board
Subject: Windows API

Thanks for your email. Sorry but I don't know how to do that.

There is a whole section of advanced Excel VBA programming using Windows API
(Application Programming Interface) that is covered in the WROX programmers
reference book. Usually, that kind of access to the Windows platform and
".dll's" is used by C and C+ programmers.

Where Windows API programming is of interest is when you want to take over
the entire Excel interface and create your own icon's etc.

As I mentioned earlier, you can make Excel look less and less like Excel and
more like your own program using VBA and VBA access to Windows API.

Using Windows API, as far as I know, is not only complicated but "risky"
because of the lack of error messages and difficulty figuring out what went
wrong when things don't work correctly.

Personally, I'm going to leave all of that to the C and C+ programmers.
"Plain" VBA is complicated enough for an untrained and "clueless" programmer
such as myself.

Maybe Guy or Ton can post some general info about Windows API and the MSDN
library files.

There's suppose to be a "win32api.txt" file that has all of the declarations
for the core windows functions written in VBA notation. I don't know where
it is or how to find it. Maybe Guy uses it in his programming.

Best regards

Walter