Weekly Pick

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; A good week for my portfolio even if
I did have a lot of portfolio changes!&nbsp; Now we need two or three more great
weeks to get back to where we were &lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; After closing my SCH, NEON,
and NETA positions and adding EWJ, EWM, and AOL&nbsp;I was left with&nbsp;10%
cash; stock positions in AOL, CMED, CPU, DELL, EWJ, EWM, FLC, and MSFT;
and&nbsp;LEAP calls on ABT and DELL.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;It's really looking to me like
the low a week ago Friday is a short term market low and Guy's signal switch to
the buy side was a good one.&nbsp; The indices I watch all are all moving up
strongly although most of them are still in Horizontal Channels&nbsp;(HCs) and
haven't broken out to give buy signals yet.&nbsp; Maybe this week if we are
lucky &lt;G&gt;.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I want to commit the
remaining&nbsp;cash to a new position this week which will put me 100% invested
for the first time in quite a while.&nbsp; Hope that's not a contrarian
indicator &lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; I was really tempted to go back into NEON.&nbsp;
Opening a position in AOL this last week looks like a good call, but closing
NEON to do it may have been a mistake.&nbsp; NEON's Short Term Up Trend Channel
(STUTC) held and it reversed to the upside nicely last Thursday.&nbsp; However,
looking at my portfolio, I don't have any positions in Financial Services which
is a group that looks like its trying to recover.&nbsp;&nbsp;I do have high tech
and Internet positions.&nbsp; Therefore, to keep my portfolio better balanced, I
decided to open a position in&nbsp;Providian Financial (PVN).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; PVN at 89 broke out of a Short Term
Down Trend Channel (STDTC) on good volume Friday.&nbsp; It hit a new all time
high of 138 on 4/22/99 and then started the STDTC it just broke when the entire
Financial Services Group corrected.&nbsp; It set a low of 71 3/4 on 6/4/99 with
a wide box on the Candle Volume chart.&nbsp; A wide box on a volume chart
usually signals a direction change and that was true in this case.&nbsp; It went
on up then corrected to a higher low of 77 Monday before jumping again to break
out of the STDTC.&nbsp; There isn't much data to use to construct a new STUTC,
but I did construct one using the MetaStock standard deviation channel function
from the 6/4/99 low to Friday's close.&nbsp; I set the deviation at 1 so I could
use the bottom of the STUTC for my stop.&nbsp; The Tema Binary wave and Qstick
are both negative but rising.&nbsp; The Binary Wave looks like it set a negative
peak a week ago and the Qstick looks like it set a negative peak
Wednesday.&nbsp; Negative peaks are usually good entry points for long
positions.&nbsp; The fundamentals are good except that the price/sales are on
the high side at 13.5.&nbsp; Debt/Equity is 1.02 which is about half the
Financial&nbsp;Services Industry average, and&nbsp;growth is excellent with
revenue growth at 98% annually and earnings growth at 100% annually.&nbsp; I'm
going to set a buy stop at 90 1/8 which is just above Friday's high.&nbsp; If I
get the position, I'll set my target&nbsp;just below the old high at 135.&nbsp;
I'll set my initial stop at 80 3/4 which is just below the STUTC.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm sending a PVN.GIF chart to
everyone on my chart email list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>JimG</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Sat Jun 19 13:21:23 1999