Re: Off Topic: Choice of Processor

I build white-box PCs for various companies, and have some good advice
for you.

1.  Don't pay any premium for a PIII.
2.  Get a minimum of 64Mb RAM.  128Mb is better
3.  Get a fast, large hard drive.
4.  Don't buy at CompUSA.

I would advice you go to Dell or Gateway, although I don't use them
myself.  (As I said, I build PCs.)

If money is important, go with a Celeron.  I'm using a C300a that I
overclock to 450MHz.  You won't want to do that unless you know what
you're doing.  But you can save plenty by buying a 400MHz Celeron
instead of a PII.

The Celeron has 128kb of internal cache that runs at full processor
speed.  The PII has 512kb of cache, but it runs at 1/2 processor
speed.  This turns out to be a wash.  Also, the Celeron runs on a
66MHz bus, while the PII runs on a 100MHz bus.  This is of little
importance.

Much more important is to get 64-128Mb RAM, and a fast, large (say
17Mb) hard drive.

You won't regret it.