RE: Off Topic: Choice of Processor

Here is my personal thoughts, it won't be what people will generally say,
but it is quite easy to find out if you are using several OS and compare
them, ie. Win 95&NT vs. Linux).

I am not using MS PRO, and what I do are genrally explorations on 9000
stocks to detect some patterns, divergence and so on on all stocks. What I
want is those explorations to be run as fast as possible, and I want smotth
screen output as well.

What I found is is somehow amazing : The CPU power on WIN 95/NT is not the
key element of the overall PC performance. Memory and hard disk have the
most impact on response time on explorations.

I have a K6-233 I bought a year and a half ago (so said "old CPU"), NT4
workstation. What I monitored is bottleneck is made on disk activity while
exploring. I switched from an average exploration time of 17 minutes to 6
minutes just by using a good hard disk write behind cache program. I made
test on a PII 350 MHz, NT4, 256 Mb RAM without hard disk write back cache,
and again, I got explorations of 16 minutes.

More than 32 Mb of my 96 Mb Memory are dedicated to cache. I consider
upgrading my system to a Celeron 350 MHz or K6-2 350 or whatever, but
emphasize the PC upgrade on memory (256 K RAM or 512 Mb RAM) and real fast
hard disks.

I wish I had 1 Gb RAM and then I would do MS explorations in RAM disk with
background writes to the Hard disk, I am sure it will really give blasting
performance.

So my advise would be : make sure you have the best hard disk, or even
consider RAID 0 disks (stripping) with write back cache. But all I say is
for explorations (i.e regularly scan the databse for patterns and so on). My
problem might be totally different from yours.

Laurent GITTLER