scanners

Does anyone have any experience with scanners for text/data reading?

I want to scan data for input into an Excel file then into Metastock.
Therefore, OCR accuracy is more important than picture quality. I don't have
a USB port so will have to go with a parallel port or "scuzzy" whatever.
Speed is not important to me, only accuracy.

The software with most scanners appears to be crippleware or "lite"
versions. Has anyone upgraded to or used "Fine Reader" or other programs?

Agfa and HP, etc. keep appearing on "better optics" lists. Any suggestions
or experience with text or data would be appreciated.

Best regards

Walter