From: owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
dave-mc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 1999 9:52 AM
To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: virus protection

Walter,

Three comments this morning...

1) In adition to Norton AntiVirus that provides weekly updates of the virus
for $5 per year, I installed QuickView Plus, which is a program that can
view just about any file aver written...approx 250 different formats.  They
advertise on their web site using it to view email attachments by opening
the mail and then right-clicking on the attachment to bring up a 'Quick
View' menu, thus invoking QuickView to read the actual attachment.  They
claim its foolproof.

2) I would think if you still have a copy of HAPPY99.exe, that that would be
one of the "safer" viruses to test your RT system against...just email
yourself a message with the virus attached.

When the Melissa virus came out a few weeks ago, out of curiosity, I went
looking for virus web sites, and came across www.coderz.net.  I hesitate to
post this, because this site DOES contain hundreds of live viruses.
However, many of them are available in text format as well as in .exe...the
TEXT formats CANNOT infect your system, so poke around until you find one
you like and then grab it.  MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND HOW THE VIRUS WORKS SO
YOU DON'T ACCIDENTALLY SEND IT SOMEONE, LIKE THIS LIST!  Please don't flame
me for posting this, I was just curious about what some of these viruses
look like...I DON'T CREATE VIRUSES MYSELF.

3) (This is going to sound dumb)...I just realized I had not tested Norton
AntiVirus with the HAPPY99.exe virus, since I was using QuickView Plus, so
if anyone still has a copy in their Deleted folder, please email it directly
to me, NOT TO THE LIST.

Dave
dave-mc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx