Re: Support or Resistance Penatration question

VonHef wrote:

> .....So I have been going over ways to define (logically) what a "Trading
> Range" is and just as important.....to define when the market has broken out
> of this "Range". That is where I first came with the idea of
> adding/subtracting ATR to the previous high/low of the trading range as to not
> signal a false breakout of the range. I suppose a 2 day rule could just as
> easily be implemented (into this mechanical method).......but I have also seen
> large moves happen in two days. Perhaps a combination of both?

I didn't realize you were looking for an entry trigger.  Yes, a two day close
beyond your resistance point could certainly kill a timely entry.  And as you've
noted, the key issue of trading a trend following system is knowing when you are
in congestion and when you are trending again.  The only study I've yet seen
that can help determine this is an understanding of Elliott Wave.  By nature,
the ABC wave corrections are the non-trending segments, and therefore do not
lend themselves well to trend following triggers.  Knowing when such an ABC
correction is due to start/end and knowing when the new 5 wave impulse move is
ready to begin can mean all the difference in taking or ignoring your mechanical
trend entry triggers.

I suggest reading Robert Miner's Dynamic Trader for one of the best explanations
and methodologies for learning the Elliott wave.  www.dynamictrader.com

Mark Scheier