RE: power users

Walter:

> I beginning to think that as "power users", Metastockers
> eventually are
> forced to become programmers. As Mr. Fritch asked, what
> platform to use?

I think Mr. Fritch has already chosen Excel with VBA..  Not all of us
need to become programmers but programming is really not that hard to
do.  You just need to start with simple things and then expand from
there... just like most everything else in life..

> The Metastock "power users" project / plan / application
> that I "see" has
> several phases:
>
> a) getting the data into Excel, either from Metastock or
> directly from the
> web sites. It sounds like the Quotes Plus users have the
> dll's in place with
> Mr. Fritch's two downloads. By the way I don't really know
> what "dll's" are.

Where and how to get the data is the most fundamental problem to solve
IMHO.  If we design things in the proper manner then we could make
that part "interchangeable" as it were.  For those that wish to get
data from MS then fine, etc..   This could in a subroutine that is
called by the main part of the macro.  However the format of the data
in the spreadsheet should be common to all data retrieval methods.
This approach will prevent a lot of religious wars..

FYI a dll is nothing more thana self-contained bunch of computer
instructions. It gets its name from the suffix of its filename *.dll.
The neat thing about dll's is that all you need to know about them is
how to communicate with them and then you just "call" them and pass
the needed info to them and they go off and do their magic and return
the results to you.

> b) developing a "data mining" workbook to look at patterns,
> seasonally etc.
>
> c) develop a Technical analysis workbook, such as Mr.
> Fritch's fine example.
>
> d) develop a trade systems workbook, that includes all of
> the trading
> systems used and the resulting trades listed
>
> e) develop a trade analysis workbook that examines trade
> systems, patterns
> etc.
>
> Most Metastockers may be happy with just a) and c), the
> data transfer and
> the TA module.
>
> So how we get there, or who helps, I don't care. This is
> where I'd like to
> go.
>
> Advanced work will probably be done privately because of
> privately developed
> indicators etc.
>
> So when you asked me what needs to be done? That's what I
> see. Jim or Lionel
> or Chuck or Adam or others may have different "visions" of
> the project.
> These guys are vocal enough. They aren't "shrinking violets".
>
> Where do we start? ... We just start.

Well, rather than just starting anywhere I suggest that we get
"together" and work on the data gathering aspect first. That would
include designing how that retrieved data should look in the
spreadsheet and then decide who goes off and does what. I'll be glad
to do the version based on QP and also the web query verison. Actually
I've already done most of the work on both of  these.

After that we need to further define the rest of the "modules".

Dale