Re: Using "Trader" Status for Income Taxes

I missed the name of the book.

If you are not contributing to a pension fund of any kind (ira, keogh, 401k
or whatever) you can set up a keogh for yourself.  Depending on your age,
you might be able to contribute to a keogh a larger amount than the 30k or
35k that the usual IRS publications mention.  The way it works, is say you
are 50 and you want to retire at 65 with a certain pension, an actuary will
determine how much you need to contribute each year to meet this.  The
hooker is that until recently the IRS rules required that you get a
qualified actuary to prepare your annual report, and these were not cheap.
I was told that the IRS rules were changed in 1997 and you can now do the
actuary report yourself. Better check on this as I am not sure.

If you need advice on this, do not go to the IRS, get a knowledgeable
accountant or pension plan advisor. This will cost you but it will be
better than the incorrect information that you are likely to get from the
IRS people. Some brokers will provide you with an approved (by the IRS)
plan provided you trade with them.  If you decide to go to another broker,
you can take the plan with you.

You can deduct your investment operating costs like software, reference
books, advisory services, telephone etc on Sch D. I am going thru an IRS
audit and they accepted investment expenses for which I had adequate
documentation. After some discussion they reluctantly accepted credit card
statements and checks as providing documentation.

Recently someone posted to this thread that they use Sch C and Sch D for
their investment expenses and income.  They said that they are audited
every year, but here the key is to have GOOD records and receipts for
everything relevant.

Another suggestion is to incorporate your trading activities. Here again
you will need competent tax and legal advice.

You should buy or borrow the complete IRS rules (2 vols).  You can buy it
at a legal bookstore, order it from the Government Printing Office, order
it from the Commerce Clearing House (they are in Chicago), or look at it in
a law library.

Hope this helps.

Lionel