Re: Bill Williams' Profitunity Indicators

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>

<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>When Mark Brown speaks, I will listen. His
knowledge and authority are unquestionable. He scares me. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2>However, I too have been intrigued with the
Profitunity approach for quite some time. It is simplistic and compelling. Both
Bill Williams books I thought were a good read and I have been trying to figure
out for some time now if the approach will work for me. My backtesting of the
software &quot;Investors Dream&quot; is showing mixed results: taking the
pyramiding signals in the false breakouts is seeming to be a problem that I
haven't been able to overcome yet. These losses are what is keeping my testing
from being profitable. These are not to be confused with the &quot;low rent
district&quot; losses. According to the book, the answer lies somewhere in
developing an &quot;educated intuition&quot;.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#000000 size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>This is either the greatest trading approach ever, or Mr.
Williams is a more prolific liar than the antichrist. I VOW TO GET TO THE BOTTOM
OF THIS IF I HAVE TO TEST THIS SOFTWARE AND EDUCATE MY INTUITION UNTIL I AM DEAD
!!!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>If this system is a farce, then the world is truly full of
unscrupulous and evil system vendors. Those two books are among the most
enjoyable and lucid books I have ever read in my life. Every and all the right
buttons are pushed in the traders psyche. Of course, this guy is a PhD in
psychology as is his wife. Who knows how to push buttons better than a
psychotherapist right?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>And....John Hill of Futures Truth on the books' backcover
quotes: &quot;The principles are sound as we have tested them with our
software.&quot; But when I send an inquiry to Futures Truth asking for test
results, they say they don't have any. WTF?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>From my internet inquiries, I've received no positive
confirmation about this system vendor, only confirmation that this Bill Williams
guy is to be watched. That that is the result of disgruntled persons who refused
to make the psychological adjustments to make the system work is possible. But
logically one has to assume that at least one person might have come forward
PUBLICLY to confirm that Mr. Williams is a genius or at least a stand-up guy.
UNLESS: the approach is such a breakthrough idea that the Profitunity players
making a bundle are keeping it quiet and to themselves.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Now, Mr. Williams claims in his book that he was offered seven
figures to not reveal this approach to other traders (page 5) by a guy of George
Soros calibre. How can a person make these claims if they are not true and look
in the mirror at himself? </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I don't know how yet, but I'm gonna figure out a way to get to
the bottom of this.There has to be a way to verify statistically the viability
of this simple system and I will find it. The educated intuition part must be
quantifiable to some extent as well. Since I just retired from the submarine
service (where BS wasn't tolerated), I feel this new mission is worthwhile.
These books could be the highest and most insidious form of SPAM known to
mankind. Or, they may hold the key to the Holy Grail and Mr. Williams gets a
noble prize.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Good Trading All</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Rod&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>9 Feb 1999 13:56:35 -0800<BR>From: &quot;Glen Wallace&quot; &lt;<A
href="mailto:gcwallace@xxxxxxxx";>gcwallace@xxxxxxxx</A>&gt;<BR>Subject: Re: Bill
Williams' Profitunity indicators<BR><BR>I read that article, too.&nbsp;
Unfortunately I didn't keep it and now I can't<BR>find it at Futures Magazine's
website, so if anyone else has it, please post<BR>it.<BR><BR>The criticisms were
valid.&nbsp; I recall one was that Bill Williams blasted the<BR>$3,000 trading
system and black-box vendors, and then made sure to mention<BR>his Investor's
Dream software.&nbsp; I think the other criticism was an example<BR>of a 3-month
Dell trade using his system that produced a $35,000 profit.<BR>Williams did not
mention that the capital required to execute all the buy<BR>signals was
$180,000.&nbsp; In fairness to Bill Williams, this was just an<BR>illustration
of how the trades are executed.&nbsp; That kind of capital allocated<BR>to a
single security is not required to trade the system.<BR><BR>I would add a couple
more criticisms, myself.&nbsp;&nbsp; First, he repeatedly (and<BR>annoyingly)
refered to the formula for calculating a price midpoint as<BR>(H-L)/2 rather
than (H+L)/2.&nbsp; Second, some of his descriptions of his<BR>indicators were
less than precise and it took some work to accurately define<BR>them.&nbsp; I
must say, though, that his trading group in Texas City, Texas were<BR>helpful in
clarifying this for me.<BR><BR>To call Bill Williams a scammer, however, I think
is a bit harsh.<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Tue Feb 09 20:55:14 1999