Weekly Pick

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=text/html;charset=iso-8859-1 http-equiv=Content-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content='"MSHTML 5.00.0910.1309"' name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>All,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; This was a scary week in the
market.&nbsp; Everything I had was down except MDM.&nbsp; I don't know why MDM
moved up, but I hope it keeps it up &lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; Anyway, I was stopped out
of GMH and SKYW Friday.&nbsp; Then I decided to pull the plug on all my Internet
and computer related positions and closed AOL, ATHM, and MSFT about an hour
before the close Friday.&nbsp; That left me about 70% cash with long positions
in C, FNM, MDM, and SCH.&nbsp; In retrospect, I may have panicked a little by
closing those positions.&nbsp; The NASD OTC index is still well within a Short
Term Up Trend Channel (STUTC) as were AOL, ATHM, and MSFT.&nbsp; My system says
that as long as the index that most closely resembles the stocks (in this case
the NASD OTC index) is in a STUTC the stocks should be held until they hit a
target or a stop.&nbsp; However, I don't feel too bad about closing those
positions early because I didn't want to see my large profits of the last few
months evaporate and I did have early warning that the market may be
correcting.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The early warning began when,
as discussed a couple of weeks ago, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJI) broke
out of its STUTC on 1/21/99.&nbsp; It had previously bounced off the top of its
wide Intermediate Term Up Trend Channel (ITUTC) in early January and moved down
a little and mostly sideways since then.&nbsp; After the 1/21/99 breakout, it
paralleled the bottom of the channel up moving back in and back out of the old
channel a couple of times.&nbsp; However, it has now been below the bottom of
the old STUTC for the last four days.&nbsp; Also, the Binary wave has been
dropping for three weeks and is about to turn negative.&nbsp; The QStick, while
still well positive, has been dropping fro two weeks from an extremely high
positive position.&nbsp; That doesn't look good to me.&nbsp; To add to my
concern, the NYSE composite Index has copied the DJI pattern and the Russel 2000
Index broke through the bottom of its STUTC Thursday.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; However, its not all doom and gloom
&lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; On the positive side the NASD, OEX, and SPX are still well
within their STUTCs.&nbsp; Also, I have been using a standard deviation of 1 for
the bottom of the channels to set my stops.&nbsp; That gives early warning of a
trend reversal at the cost of more false signals.&nbsp; Remember a deviation of
1, by definition, will contain 67% of the moves whereas a deviation of 2 (which
I use for the targets) will contain 95% of the moves.&nbsp; So it's entirely
possible that the breakouts will be false breakouts that would be contained if
the deviation was set at 2. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Anyway, I did close the positions
&lt;G&gt;.&nbsp; As penance, and due the uncertainty, I'm going to sit and watch
for at least a couple of weeks and let my brain clear before entering any new
positions.&nbsp; Therefore, there won't be any weekly pick this week.&nbsp; I'll
send a DJI.GIF chart to everyone on my email list.&nbsp; If you aren't on the
list, and want on, just yell.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>JimG&nbsp; </FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Sun Feb 07 20:26:03 1999