Re: Downloader 6.5 - Creating New Securities

It has.  Search the DL-Help for :
      -Conversion Options Dialog
and
      -Creating Symbols for the Look-up Dialog
      -To create your own groups in the Symbol Look-up dialog
or see further down below.

In General
Go to the Convert Tool and in the Convert Dialog Window press
the Options button. Go to the Destination TAB and apply "Create
New files".
If you know on forehand what 'new' secs to expect, then you can make
your own Symbol file, place it in the Dlwin folder and run the Downloader's
Symbol Look Up Tool(eg press New, then Security, then Look Up button,
then apply All for the Group and press the small arrow on the right of Types
for finding your own home brewed Sym-file).

Regards,
Ton Maas
ms-irb@xxxxxx

>From the DL652 build-in Help:
Conversion Options Dialog (shortened)

Create new files.  If this box is unchecked, new security files will not be
                               created in the destination folder.  The data in the source
                               file will only be appended to or replace existing files
                               (depending on your selection).
For example, suppose you have an ASCII file with thousands of different
securities and their prices, and the MetaStock security files you want to
append this data to are scattered across numerous folders.  You should
deselect the "Create new files" checkbox so that new files are not created
for securities that don't exist in the destination folders.

Traverse destination folders.  Choose this checkbox if you want converted
                              data to be stored in the folders beneath the specified Destination
                              folder.
  For example, specifying "c:\MetaStock Data" would cause all the security files
in c:\MetaStock Data\stocks, c:\MetaStock Data\futures, etc. to be written to
during the conversion.
If a file to which the converted data can be appended does not exist in any
existing folders, a new folder will automatically be created beneath the specified
Destination folder.  The newly created folders are named "A", "B", "C", "D", etc.
corresponding to the first letters of the converted securities' names.  This option
is used when converting FutureLink data (see FutureLink File Conversion).

If you need the converted data to be stored in only one specific folder, then leave
this box unchecked.

Creating Symbols for the Look-up Dialog.

The Symbol Look-up dialog includes nearly all U.S. and Canadian stocks and
mutual funds. However, if you follow securities that do not have a universally
accepted symbol format, like futures, indices, or international securities, the
symbols you need may not be included in the Symbol Look-up dialog.
To accommodate these types of symbols, you can create your own groups of
symbols inside the Symbol Look-up dialog using an ASCII file with
a "SYM" extension.
The Symbol Look-up dialog may also be used to enter and customize large
groups of securities.  You may find this helpful for posting recommended lists
of securities to clients or colleagues, keeping lists of securities in separate
portfolios, creating custom industry groups, etc.

To create your own groups in the Symbol Look-up dialog

1. Open a new ASCII file in a text editor (e.g. WordPad, Notepad)

2. Type the list of securities to add to the Symbol Look-up dialog using the
 following format (Note the comma's and no comma at the end):

Example:
Microsoft,MSFT,NASD
Apple Computer,AAPL,NASD
Oracle,ORCL,NASD
Iomega,IOM,NYSE

Each individual security must be entered on a separate line in the text editor.
 The <exchange> and <security name> entries are completely optional.

You may also create an ASCII file using the following format:

<symbol>

Example:
MSFT
AAPL
ORCL
IOM

In the example above, the ASCII file contains only one field per line
(i.e., the symbol).  Since the <security name> is not provided, The
DownLoader will attempt to provide a <security name> from the
existing symbol look-up list.  For example, since the symbol look-up list
in The DownLoader associates the symbol "MSFT" to the security name
"Microsoft," the name "Microsoft" will automatically be used in the
<security name> field.  However, if The DownLoader does not find a match
for the <symbol> in the existing list, the symbol itself will be used in place
of the <security name>.

3. Save the ASCII file with the extension “.SYM” (e.g. “COMPUTER.SYM”)

Note that when you save the file in Notepad or Wordpad, it will add a “.TXT”
extension after the file name (e.g. "COMPUTER.SYM.TXT").  Rename the file
so the Symbol Look-up dialog correctly recognizes the file format.

4. Place the ASCII file in  the same folder as The DownLoader program
(e.g. “c:\Program Files\Equis\The DownLoader”)

5. Open The DownLoader and display the Symbol Look-up dialog.

6. The name of the newly created symbol look-up file will be displayed in
 the Type menu of the Symbol Look-up dialog.