[Fwd: GEN/MKT: What is this called?]

Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 19:00:02 -0600
From: Leo Karl <leokarl@xxxxxxxxx>
To: TradeLab <tradelab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: GEN/MKT: What is this called?

<x-html><HTML>
tl,

<P>This is straight out of the Monocle Help files.&nbsp; Not much in the
way of "calculations", but conceptually it's pretty good.

<P>Monocle, if you're not familiar with it, is devoted to the trading of
funds rather than stocks.&nbsp; The same principals should generally apply
I believe.

<P>Leo
<BR>
<HR WIDTH="100%">
<BR>Alpha

<P>The Alpha statistic is used to measure the risk-adjusted return of a
fund
<BR>relative to the Benchmark. Alpha is calculated by using a least-squares
<BR>regression of the fund's return against that of a Benchmark. For example,
<BR>let us assume that the return of the S&amp;P 500 is 12% and the fund's
Beta
<BR>equals 1. Beta would predict the return of this fund to also equal
12%.
<BR>An Alpha of +2 indicates the fund has performed 2% better than its
Beta
<BR>would predict. Thus, its return would be 14%. In contrast, an Alpha
of -2
<BR>indicates the fund has performed 2% below its expected return, or a
10%
<BR>return. An Alpha of zero indicates performance in line with its Beta,
<BR>12% return. It is suggested by a number of professionals that the Alpha,
<BR>especially a shorter-term Alpha, is the most important predictor of
<BR>fund's potential future return.

<P>Beta

<P>The Beta statistic is a measure of a fund's sensitivity to an underlying
<BR>Benchmark. Beta is computed as the correlation of the Current Fund
with
<BR>the Benchmark times the ratio of the Current Fund's Standard Deviation
<BR>to the Benchmark's Standard Deviation.

<P>The Beta statistic is used as a measure of the fund's systematic or
market
<BR>risk. The Beta shows the sensitivity or variance of a fund's rate of
return
<BR>relative to a Benchmark. The market's Benchmark is normally defined
as
<BR>the Standard and Poor's 500 for equity funds. For example, if the market
<BR>Beta of a fund is 1.25, a fund is expected to perform 25% better in
up
<BR>markets and 25% less in down markets. Also, a fund with a 0.5 Beta
is
<BR>expected to perform 50% lower in up markets relative to the Benchmark,
<BR>but only half as poorly in down markets. Funds with high Betas are
<BR>commonly assumed to be riskier investments than funds with lower Betas.
<BR>
<HR WIDTH="100%">
<BR>TradeLab wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Leo:&nbsp; I'd like a copy of the calculation.&nbsp;
If you post it to the group, I'll
<BR>just get it there.

<P>It's not clear to me if the alpha and beta measures are used consistently
<BR>the same way.

<P>My understanding of alpha is the performance of a security not due to
the
<BR>market movement.&nbsp; In other
<BR>words, you could detect stocks that move independently of the market
- low
<BR>correlation.&nbsp; Useful when trying to find up stocks in a down market.

<P>..tl