MSPro 6.51

<x-html><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
(Pardon my changing the subject title.)
<P>Richard Estes wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I don't have answers to your questions. But I would
like to hear from you
<BR>and other users about 6.5 pro.</BLOCKQUOTE>
Forgive me for my long-winded ramblings.&nbsp; Maybe there's at least one
thing here that will shed some light.&nbsp; :-)&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't have
the time to clean this up.
<P>FWIW, in general:
<BR>It looks and feels just like 6.5, with the obvious difference of collecting
real time data.&nbsp; However, there are a couple of changes that I've
stumbled across which may or may not be of interest to you.&nbsp; (At least
I don't remember them being in earlier versions.)&nbsp;&nbsp; System Testing
"Options" now lets you enter on an open (or H,L,C), and exit on a close
(or O,H,L).&nbsp; In other words, you're not restricted to exiting at the
same entry choice.&nbsp; You can also choose to exit at the actual Stop
price by checking the "Exit at Stop Price" box, rather than having to exit
at the O,H,L, or C.&nbsp;&nbsp; The position is closed at that exact stop
price level, even if you've set a trade delay..&nbsp; (Trade delays are
ignored if the Exit at Stop Price box is checked.)&nbsp;&nbsp; There may
be other changes, but at the moment I don't recall noticing any.&nbsp;
I really haven't looked very deep.&nbsp; Oh yeah,&nbsp; the Full Screen
feature no longer causes a crash...at least not in my experience.&nbsp;
And in the past, every now and then my machine would dump when I opened
the data Window, but no longer.
<P>One minor annoyance I have experienced is that the Price Chg doesn't
work in the End Of Day mode. (It's supposed to.)&nbsp; I installed the
patch that I <I>believe</I> was supposed to fix this, but it didn't work
in my case.&nbsp; So I plotted a price change indicator on existing charts
and also added it to the default template.&nbsp; Next best thing.
<P>>How you use it?
<P>Where you from?&nbsp; And who taught you English?&nbsp;&nbsp; LOL.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Just kidding, Richard.&nbsp; I drop words from e-mails all the time.&nbsp;
On with it...
<P>I usually have at least two real time charts open, sometimes as many
as 6, along with one or two end of day charts (so that I can see where
I am in the world).&nbsp; Generally I only display one or two charts simultaneously
(the others are minimized).&nbsp; I guess that I am collecting rt data
on maybe a total of 20 or so securities.&nbsp; I'm happy with 6.51.&nbsp;
It does what I want: collect rt data.&nbsp; And it allows me to use the
all of Metastock's capabilities like the System Tester, Explorer, Experts,
etc. on that data.
<P>A typical day for me is to have <I>at least</I> two real time charts
open.&nbsp; I sometimes display a second real time security in the main
securities' inner window.&nbsp; I do this because it saves a lot of room
on the screen, especially when I delete the title bars.&nbsp; (Easier on
the eyes.)&nbsp; Also it's the best way to go, IMO, if you're ever inclined
to look for divergence between securities, which I do at times.
<BR>So if you count the above example as two charts (I do), I usually have
a total of 4 rt charts:&nbsp; two maximized and two minimized.&nbsp; Also,
I have at least one EOD chart minimized.&nbsp; Additionally, often, but
not always, I have two Signal On Line charts and a SOL quote window minimized,
my internet browser minimized, and my OnLine software program.&nbsp; Why
in the world am I telling you this...
<P>I do this on my poky P 133, 80MB, 6.4 HD, running Win95.&nbsp; Sometimes,
but certainly it's not the norm, things get a bit sluggish.&nbsp; Not the
incoming data, but waiting for a chart tip window to open, for example,
may take 2 or 3 seconds.&nbsp; At times like these, sometimes I'll close
all unnecessary programs and charts, and then things get back to normal.&nbsp;
I might even close and re-open Metastock for an extra good measure, leaving
the Equis Data Server and the Metastock File Server running so as not to
interrupt the data stream.&nbsp; In the background I also have Norton CrashGuard
running, which has saved my butt several times when I had too many programs
up.&nbsp; Of course, I don't need all that open, but you know how it is.&nbsp;
Gotta push things to the edge, right?&nbsp;&nbsp; Equis recommends a minimum
of a P-100 and 64MB, if memory serves.&nbsp; That's adequate, but bigger
is better.&nbsp; And the bigger the better, IMO.
<P>The incoming data on my charts is always at least 3 seconds faster than
what is reported on the CNBC bug.&nbsp; I would say that 3-4 sec's faster
is the norm.&nbsp; I've noticed that in extremely volatile periods, Signal's
data beats the bug by 10 sec's to nearly a full minute.&nbsp; I'm using
a USR v.90 modem, BTW.
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Their choice of data providers does not agree with
me. I am trying to see
<BR>why I would change data provider and what I would gain.</BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm interested in what bad experiences you had with them.&nbsp; (Seriously.)&nbsp;
I would like to focus on their weaknesses and give 'em some crap.&nbsp;
(Not seriously.)&nbsp;&nbsp; ;-)
<P>I wasn't thrilled by their choice of Signal either, based solely on
a few posts that I read on other lists.&nbsp; But so far I don't have any
real complaints.&nbsp; Occasionally I get a <U>wickedly</U> bad tick, like
all of a sudden a tick will jump astronomically, or maybe go to zero.&nbsp;
But in my experience these are few and far between, especially considering
how many ticks there are in each day.&nbsp; All vendors give bad ticks
on occasion.&nbsp; It's just that when you have a position on and you get
a BIG bad tick that moves against you, there's a couple of seconds when
your brain goes numb.&nbsp; In Signals' defense, last week I was short
and in an instance the price upticked something like $3000 against me.&nbsp;
Once I picked myself up off the floor, I called my broker's quote line.&nbsp;
They recorded the same bad tick, so it must have come from the exchange.&nbsp;
Yesterday was another example when the Fed announced the rate cut.&nbsp;
About a minute later the e-mini ticked up to something like 1300.00.&nbsp;&nbsp;
My broker's quote line reported something like 9999.75, which is what the
CME posted on it's web site yesterday.&nbsp; My EOD provider put out something
like 1064.00&nbsp; (I don't remember the exact figure.)&nbsp; I still don't
know which is the correct high.&nbsp; Guess I need to bop over to the CME
and see if they have it posted correctly.
<P>>good/bad?
<P>It does a good job, in my opinion.&nbsp; I'm a happy user and would
definitely recommend it.
<P>>Restrictions?
<P>Not exactly sure what you mean, but my only "complaints" are directed
at Signal.&nbsp;&nbsp; Last I checked, they don't supply intra-day historical
charts or data...only daily history.&nbsp; For me it's really no big deal,
since I already had some tick data.&nbsp; I guess it depends on exactly
how big your trading world is.&nbsp; My world is small, so I can buy all
the tick data I need for about $50.&nbsp; I did buy some additional data
from Tick Data, by the way.&nbsp; Another annoyance is that you only get
TODAY's data on Signal-On-Line's charts.&nbsp; Not even yesterday's prices.&nbsp;
If there's a way to get around this, I don't know it.&nbsp; And at midnight
CST, prices disappear, so you end up staring at a blank screen until the
first tick occurs.&nbsp; And then you end up staring at one tick until
the second one appears.&nbsp; And then it occurs that maybe, just maybe
it's time to get a LIFE!&nbsp;&nbsp; Or you could just run Metastock 24
hrs a day and not loose anything.
<P>Of course, that's unless you happen to lose your internet connection,
which has happened to me a few times.&nbsp; To my knowledge, Signal provides
no way to replace that data.&nbsp; A downloadable data file would be oh-so-welcome.&nbsp;
On all but one occasion I was at the computer and was able to resume collecting
data in about two minutes, so no great loss.&nbsp;&nbsp; It's not nearly
as serious as losing a daily bar on an EOD chart, IMO.&nbsp; Or you could
opt to use the s-l-o-w but more reliable (I assume) FM, or cable.
<P>Price:&nbsp; DBC discounts are available thru some brokerages, I believe.&nbsp;
Look for about&nbsp; $20 per mo
<BR>lower fees.&nbsp; If you pre-pay, that brings the cost down to about
$135 per month plus exchange fees.&nbsp; It ain't $75 like you may get
elsewhere for rt charts, but then again "elsewhere" doesn't allow you to
take advantage of all of Metastock's capabilities.&nbsp; In my opinion,
it's the difference between night and day.&nbsp; If you don't need to use
MSPro for your trading, there's certainly nothing wrong with staying with
your current setup.
<BR>&nbsp;
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>I presently use DTN
<BR>RT and Ensign, I am very happy with that setup. I would love to have
custom
<BR>indicators and system test capability.</BLOCKQUOTE>
One word:&nbsp; <B>MSPro.&nbsp; </B>&lt;G>
<P>Ken
<P>PS- Earlier you asked for a screen shot.&nbsp; See attachment.</HTML>
</x-html>
Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\5minBondsMSPro.gif"