Re: What's worse than no data? !

To have all of the updated Reuters Symbols(tickers) + Names for
the Indexes, Indicators and Indices used, displayed and printed out,
finish off step by step the items 1,2,3 and 4.

Note
Reuters uses on occasion in their internal and external programs the asci-cap-
distingueser-character " ^ " (wich can be often seen on the internet-sites).
In the Metastock/Downloader the character is dismissed and not used in
the securities symbols.

Note 2
That the below printed method can also be used for printing out the contents
of any of the:
-Metatstock Data Cdrom(s) folders contents
-Metastock programs data folder, the "C:\Equis\Data\Samples" folder
-or any of your own currently used MS Data Base folders(here C:\Ms).

A print-out of the July98 updated version of the "65symbol32.exe" file,
the Reuters symbols used by the Downloader, is enclosed in the
attached zip-file.
(3 months old !!!)

Regards,
Ton Maas
Ms-IRB@xxxxxxxxx

In General

Download
Per the 1st of each month Equis updates the file "65symbol32.exe" wich is then
placed on the Equis website ready for download between the 1st and the
15th of each month. Go to:
http://www.equis.com/customer/techsupport/home.html
and search for the Technical Support's Files section.

Installation
The self-extracting file 65symbol32.exe extracts the file Symbol32.dta to
the C:\Equis\Dlwin folder.

1. Setting up
START The Downloader
Then PRESS New Security-button
Wait for the following New Security Dialog Window
Now only PRESS the Look-up button
Wait for the Symbol Look-up Dialog Window
Continue with either point 2a or 2b

2a. Group Indicators
Choose as Type: Market Indicators (RTD Symbols)
Choose as group: All
PRESS Select All
PRESS OK
On return to New Security Dialog Window
Fill in as Folder: C:\Temp\Ms as example folder for the securities to be created in
NAME will be [MULTIPLE]
SYMBOL will be [MULTIPLE]
Apply just a date and apply both Optional Fileds
PRESS Create

2b. Group Indices
Do the above 2a routine over again but this time use in Symbol Look-up Dialog Window
Choose as Type: Indices (RTD Symbols)
Choose as group: United States
PRESS Select All
PRESS OK
On return to New Security Dialog Window
Fill in as Folder: C:\Temp\Ms as example folder for the securities to be created in
NAME will be [MULTIPLE]
SYMBOL will be [MULTIPLE]
Apply just a date and apply both Optional Fileds
PRESS Create
Close Dialog Window(s)

3. Sort securities
Open The Downloader
Choose Tools
Choose Sort
Choose Securities
In Select Folder Dialog Window
Select the above folder C:\Temp\Ms
PRESS Sort button
Close Dialog Window(s)

4. Print All Indexes Names+Symbols To File
Open The Downloader
Choose File
Choose Print
In Print Dialog Window
Apply the right printer(here for example the Microsoft ASCI or HTML Printer printing
                                       to a File)
Apply as Print What: Security Names
Apply as Copies: 1
PRESS Browse button
In Select Folder Dialog Window
Select the above folder C:\Temp\Ms
PRESS OK
In Print Dialog Window
PRESS OK after you have checked that C:\Temp\Ms is the folder used as the folder
                     to print the contents from

This then will give you the full list of Reuters Symbols+Names as used in the latest
updated file mentioned above, the Equis Symbols file for the Downloader, as such
also for use as the partial Reuters "RTD" symbol-list.

>From the Downloaders build-in Help:
searching on Symbols | Reuters Trend DataLink | Indexes

All major US market indexes and most international are available from
Reuters Trend DataLink. A maximum of five characters is used.
See the helpfile's "Index Symbol Table" for a partial listing of the major
U.S. market indexes.
Use The DownLoader's Symbol Lookup dialog to access a complete
listing of all indexes (see also Symbol Look-up Dialog).
Symbol Look-up Dialog
The Symbol Look-up dialog provides you with instant access to ticker symbol
information on over 15,000 stocks and about 7,200 mutual funds, for all major
US exchanges.  In addition, futures, indices (both U.S. and international),
market indicators, and Canadian stocks that are symbol-compatible with the
Reuters Trend DataLink data service, are available.  This dialog is used to
place the name and ticker symbol of the selected security in the New Security dialog.
It can also be used to quickly create multiple security files for the securities you
select.  The number of securities selected (i.e., highlighted) in the Symbol Look-up
dialog is displayed on the status bar at the bottom of the application window.
For more information on adding a new security with the Symbol Look-up, see
New Security.

The current symbol file (i.e., symbol32.dta) is available in library 2 of CompuServe's
Financial Vendors forum (see On-line Services), America Online's Equis page, and
from Equis' web site (http://www.equis.com).
Type.  Use the Type drop list to choose the type of security to list (i.e., stocks,
           futures, etc.).
Group.  Use the Group drop-list to control which securities are listed in the dialog.
             The contents of the drop-list are dependent on your selection in the Type box.

If you are searching for a specific security and you're not sure which exchange
grouping the security belongs to, you should select the "All" group to list all securities.
You can also choose from several specialized groups (i.e., S&P 100 stocks,
NYSE stocks, etc.).  The group called "optionable stocks" lists all stocks that options
are traded on.
Name.  Choose this radio button to search by the security's name.
Symbol.   Choose this radio button to search by the ticker symbol.

Select All.  Click this button to quickly select all securities listed.
Deselect All.  Click this button to quickly deselect all securities.