Re: AMAT, KEA and the market

Hi Larry.

Well at least I know why. Novellus Systems Inc. reported better than expected
earnings (another equipment maker). Also after the close AMAT and CSIM
announced a merger. So we'll see what that does as well to the price on
Tuesday. I new that a merger was going to happen sooner or later with AMAT.
AMAT even said that the industry will consolidate and they had $? billion in
cash and would do what they needed to do to maintain market leadership.

However, there is one piece of bad news that 1999 will bring. This weekend
Japan had said that they will contract even further in 1998. This will put
pressure on the broader market because of earnings. However to balance things
out AMAT's restructuring will help it in 1999.

I did try to cover my 100 shares I shorted at 26 15/16 but after the computer
froze up and I got logged back on, the market had closed. From what I have read
AMAT has traded up to 27 on Instinet.

Well the week is long so we will see how it all ends up.

Harley