Re: Off topic: new computer

To Lionel and Al,

FWIW and IMHO...

I advise my clients to retain the old programs on their origianl drives
and move the data to the other drive. New programs can be added
to either drive....

I know... This doesn't address the problem of the registry and unnecessary
entries...

When the next operating system...Win NT 5.0 comes along that will be the time
to re-install everything it Microsoft hasn't solved the redundant registry
entries
by then...

Cheers

Hugh

At 12:47 PM 10/9/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>Lionel, I made an upgrade two weeks ago to a faster processor and added
>another hard drive.  To change from same drive letter designation was no
>problem.  To change from "C" to "D" is/was a major problem.  As was
>explained to me, all has to do with the registry.  Did solve my problem,
>however.  Reformatted my D drive and reloaded my programs.  The cure wasn't
>pleasant but necessary.
>
>Good Luck!
>Al Taglavore
>
>----------
>> From: Lionel Issen <lissen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Off topic:  new computer
>> Date: Friday, October 09, 1998 9:59 AM
>>
>> I am moving to a faster computer.  Both computers use Win98. The hard
>drive
>> configuration is different on the computers.
>>
>> What is the easiest or best way to transfer programs from the old to the
>new
>> computer?
>>
>> Some programs were downloaded from the web, so I have no disks or CDs;
>other
>> programs have been modified (patches, additional functionality etc) so
>that
>> the original CD no longer fully represents the  what I have on my
>computer
>>
>> I have set up a direct cable connection, this works for data, but not so
>> well with programs.  I have used CleanSweep to transfer a few programs,
>but
>> the process is slow and doesn't always work if there are several programs
>in
>> the folder.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Lionel Issen

                                   \\\\!////
                                   (  @ @  )

                 MI-COM Technology
       Computer Solutions for Small Business
Helping you access and travel the Information Highway

                 Hugh A. Valliant

      Bus.  (416) 726-5355   Fax. (416) 699-3847

        E-mail         valliant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            http://www.mi-comtech.com/