Re: What are your thoughts...

  • To: VonHef@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: What are your thoughts...
  • From: UG <ug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 1998 17:49:09 -0400 (EDT)

Von Hef writes:

> >Myself, I try to be pretty mechanical; I use the various systems I'm
> >playing around with, and rarely do I use any fundamental knowledge of
> >the stock.  As for an exit, it's a simple one, though I'd be glad to
> >be shown where its weak points are.  It's a mix of SAR
> >(philosophically) and trailing low; I start by putting my stop at the
> >lowest low of the last 10 days.  If the stock makes a new high, I
> >decrement 10 to 9.  Every time a new high is made, I decrement the
> >number of days until I hit 5.  So far, this has had me out of major
> >loss turnarounds w/o stopping me out overly quickly.
>
>   My goal is to be mostly mechanical also. I like your idea on your stops,
> have you written code for your exit method?

Not really.  I have a custom indicator which is just:

n := input("Number of periods:", 2,100,10);

llv(L, n);

which I plot on the charts in which I have a position.  (Similar for
high on the short side)

That way, when I check my charts nightly and see that my stock has made
a new high (since I opened the position), I can just adjust the
properties and decrement N.  It then replots, and I cancel/change my
stop at the broker if needed, which is simply a GTC stop-loss.

Recently I've been looking a lot at the TTT talk that's been going
around, and Widners support/resistance.  Both of those are based on
breaking new highs/lows over the last X days, so it has a Donchian
appeal to it.  I have not done any testing into these yet, but using the
"eyeball" method, they seem sound, if a bit shorter term than I am used
to.

--
Men's rules for women: 16. Ask for what you want. Subtle hints don't
work.