Re: DBC-SIGNAL EQUATORIAL FEED

At 09:07 PM 10/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm in the US and want to know does anyone out there know what satellite
>Data Broadcast Company (DBC) or Signal is now transmitting from with the
>demise of the old c-band satellite.  Coordinates and polarization number
>would be extreamly helpful. I would greatly appreciate any help with this
>information.
>
>Does anyone have experience with their new digital feed or internet service.
>I'm not sure if the problems I've heard where the result of the server or
>the service.
>
>Thanks
>Ron

Ron--

DBC made a few changes at the end of June that obliged me to move from FM
feed to satellite feed. To do this I had to buy and install a DISH Network
satellite system. DBC uses channel 550 on this system via an adapter piece
that goes into the back of the DISH receiver and connects via coax to a
Signal Satellite Plus receiver. Feed is at 19200 baud and in my judgement
works pretty well. I have been shut down during heavy rain but that it no
surprise.

I chose the satellite over the internet because, as I understand it, the
internet feeds limit you to 200 symbols. As I watch options mostly, 200
symbols would be exhausted pretty quickly, and wouldn't permit much
"looking around" without constantly changing my quote page etc. Plus you'd
have to be connected all day, which is OK for some but my ISP just isn't
that reliable.

I can't quote you any technical specs on the DISH satellite location except
to say that from 25 mi. east of Baltimore I find it at 247 deg. magnetic
(237 true) and 27 deg. elevation. They have a web page at
www.dishnetwork.com. If you go this route you do NOT have to pay ANYTHING
to DISH for their part in the link-- I add the emphasis since this is not a
matter that their standard personnel seem familiar with.

Let me know if I you'd like more details. Signal may be on other satellites
as well but you'd have to ask them about that.

Best regards,

Chuck Engstrom
Kennedyville, MD