RE: Hedge Funds - Help!

Guy et all,

Here's a msg I posted yst:

BTW: Don't these spooky things look like a good topic for X-files? <G>

Hi Fletch,

Thanks for "the good,bad and ugly" post.
As far as I understand it, it's a margin-problem:
If I have a value of $1000,= in stocks with my bank, i can lend 25% extra to
buy more stocks. The bank charges me some interest and that's it.
As soon as my original $1000,= value tanks to let's say 750,= I get this
phonecall.
Or I sell some or I put up more cash.
Same with my futures trading.
But these hedge-funds seem to be another piece of cake.
If they have this $1000,= value they seem to be able to lend an additional
$10000,= or even more.
How they get their banks so far ?
They probably come up with this constructions, showing how clever they hedge
this.
And the bank (Some risk-officer) accept it.
Suppose you owe $1000,= to your bank for which you pay 6% interest and you
buy Russian bonds which pays you a cool 16%.
Things keep going fine untill the Russians stop paying.

In my and Al's example, I get this phone-call and I/Al have a problem.
But if we owe millions or billions or trillions of bucks and we get this
phone-call, they (the bank) have a problem.

Now if the US-Treasury starts to intervene into this problem, the conclusion
is that there is a real problem...

The solution IMHO lays with the banks who should not lend so much against
their customer's equity.
But they will say: If we don't do it another bank will do it. Plus they feel
the safety of IMF, Governments, taxpayers and the like, 'cause they think
they will be bailed out anyway.
The answer must be regulation, in which the max. % they can lend against any
security is determined.
Accidents will probably keep happening, but anything is better than......

Rgds.

Frans