Re: Astrology Isn't Used to Trade, Period.

CHARLES H. DOW AWARD

In May 1998, Dow Jones Telerate, Inc. and the Market Technicians
Association, Inc. will presented the Fifth Annual Charles H. Dow
Award for the best paper on technical analysis that breaks new
ground and/or best expounds the principles of technical analysis
in the tradition of Charles H. Dow. This Award was open to all
persons interested in submitting a paper.

GUESS WHO WON????????????????????????????????????????????????

Gee, Kevin, you certainly have strong opinions about something
you know nothing about.  You remind me of Larry, Moe, and Curley
Candlestick.  The Market Technicians Association (MTA),
incorporated in 1973, is a national organization of market
analysis professionals in the US.  A few members, that the list
might recognize, are: Ralph Acampora, John Bollinger, John
Murphy, Linda Raschke, and Phillip Roth (to name a very few).
Do these names ring a bell Kevin...ding dong?

Well, golly gee whizee, these "light weights" decided to present
this prestigious award to Chris Carolan.  Now, Kevin, I want you
to take a wild guess what his field of study is?????

AND THE WINNER IS:

Christopher Carolan's paper,  "Autumn Panics: A Calendar
Phenomenon", was the honored recipient of the 1998 Charles H.
Dow Award presented by Dow Jones and The Market Technicians
Association.

This award was given for excellence in technical analysis for
the paper that best "breaks new ground...in the spirit of
pioneering market technician, Charles H. Dow."  Now, this
couldn't have been given to someone who wrote a book and a paper
on ASTROLOGY, could it?  Naw, the MetaStock list "anti-astrology
authority", Kevin Morgan, states in his "academic" posting:

"NO ONE TRADES ASTROLOGY.  IT'S A PILE OF CRAP.  ALL THE TALK OF
CONJUNCTIONS  AND LUNAR ECLIPSES AND WHAT NOT ISN'T USED BY
ANYONE ANYWHERE.  It's just a bunch of theoretical gooblygook.
No traders use it, none, zippo, end of story!"

Any listees interested in exploring Chris Carolan's subject or
would like to be exposed to other technical ideas (Kevin, don't
you dare peek at these, they contain thoughts outside the realm
of your little world) might find these addresses helpful:

http://mta-usa.org/whatsnew.htm
http://www.calendarresearch.com/

Almost without exception, all the people that Jack Schwager
interviewed for his Market Wizards book said that the one common
prerequisite for the makings of a good technician was: "an open
mind".  Hmmmmmmm.

Steve Karnish
CCT

----------
> From: Ken Macht <macht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: RealTraders Discussion Group <realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Astrology Isn't Used to Trade, Period.
> Date: Wednesday, September 16, 1998 10:50 AM
>

> Kevin Morgan wrote:
>
> > So let me just throw down the gauntlet:
>
> You just did. And while I do not know if you intented to do so
to stir up debate or
> not, I shall pick it up.
>

> >    NO ONE TRADES ASTROLOGY.  IT'S A PILE OF CRAP.  ALL THE
TALK OF CONJUNCTIONS
> >    AND LUNAR ECLIPSES AND WHAT NOT ISN'T USED BY ANYONE
ANYWHERE.  It's
> >    just a bunch of theoretical gooblygook.  No traders use
it, none, zippo,
> >    end of story!
>
> These statements are simply wrong. I, for one use planetary
cycles (that' really
> what it is as I ascribe no symbolism to the planets).
>
> Financial Astrology is no less valid than any other technique
and I consider it
> better and more valid than most.
>
> Since you asked for realtime trades, I shall endeavour to post
my trades prior to
> market's open and we'll see. Tonight, after my homelife
settles, I shall post a few
> charts for your perusal and edification.
>
> Lastly, could someone post to me either the DJIA or the SP500
index (not futures)
> data for at least 23 years (weekly is fine) so that I can
demonstrate some
> relationships in an area near and dear to both the stock folks
but also the futures
> folks. I do not trade nor follow closely the stock market
other than its effect on