Re: Lost addresses

Barry Spreen wrote:

> Bill,
> I don't know what would cause the problem you describe.
> Does it do the same thing after closing and reopening your mail client
> or your browser?   YES
> Is it the same after shutting down the computer completely?
> Every once in a while some thing happens to me to cause me to lose
> addresses, bookmarks
> or preferences (probably cosmic rays <G>). Periodically I back-up the
> files which can be
> corrupted. In netscape these are abook.nab, bookmark.htm and prefs.js.

I RESTORED THE ABOOK.NAB FROM A RECENT BACKUP TO NO AVAIL.  I DID NOT KNOW
WHAT THE PREFS.JS FILE WAS AND WAS AFRAID TO DO SO.  DOES THIS HAVE TO DO
WITH PREFERENCES?  IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES PREFERENCES ARE  ALL I CAN
IMAGINE THAT WOULD DO THIS.  I THINK I SHOULD RESTORE PREFS.JP AND SEE
WHAT HAPPENS.  I THOUGHT IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE PREFERENCE FILE.

I WAS JUST CLICKING AWAY AND NOT DOING ANYTHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY WHEN
IT OCCURRED.  MUST BE COSMIC RAYS.  I COULD FIND NO PREFERENCES THAT
SEEMED TO HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS.  I'LL RESTORE THE FILE AND SEE.

> you might check the system or status flags on the appropriate files, I
> don't know that they effect
> how your address book is displayed, but maybe.

I'M NOT SURE HOW TO CHECK SYSTEM FLAGS.  I EMAILED NETSCAPE SUPPORT AND
THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO REPLY WITHIN 24 HRS.  I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT THEY
SAY.